Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD card from ali express?

Options
  • 11-11-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi there,

Was looking for advice from anyone who has bought from aliexpress before.

I found a few memory cards rnaging from 16gb-128gb that are being sold for a couple of euro... Would these be fake or are they just genuinely on sale?

Would greatly appreciate any advice from someone

Comments

Too good to be true. But you could check the seller rating and see if the have had many orders and received positive feedback? Mainly though it's a scam and the storage won't let you fill more than a gig or two even though Windows might report differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Fake more than likely. Bought one and told seller straight away it would be checked for real capacity upon arrival. Seller cancelled my purchase immediately and refunded. :D

Better go mymemory.co.uk instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dub1021

or memoryc . Good to support local business and they have good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can't put too much trust in reviews etc. What can happen is people get the fake card, it shows it is 16gb, you stick files on and it seemingly works fine so then people leave positive reviews. Then a month later when they really start to finish they discover its fake and it can be too late to put in a bad review, or they may even think they broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

It's also worth being aware of the industry standard for SD (inc. MicroSD) cards.

SD = max 2Gb
    SDHC = min 2Gb, max 32Gb
    SDXC = 32Gb+

I've bolded the SDHC max capacity as they're commonly sold as 'upgraded' to 64Gb. Anything over 32Gb on that format is a physical impossibility - the 'upgrade' is a rewriting of the card's software to report a false capacity to it's host device. The device therefore allows the writing of the reported capacity to the card but obviously can only hold data to it's native capacity (typically 8Gb). As rubadub says, they survive a cursory test for most people and it's only with time that data loss is realised.

Cards should also have their SD type and class printed on them. If they're blank they're not industry-compliant so it's wise to assume the worst..

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Anyway, either USB stick or memory card can be easily tested for its real capacity using small, freeware application.

h2testw - German/English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi I bought a Ralph Lauren hoody from ali express and it was perfect. My daughter now wants a pair of Nike air force 1 trainers
    These cost around 90euro here but I can get them for around 35e on this site. I know the hoody was perfect but the price difference in the shoes seems too good to be true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Almost certainly fake - both the hoody and the trainers. Chance of being destroyed by customs when it enters the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

all cards from china are fake

Unregistered Users

All cards you can see around are from China. They're made in China. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement