Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a season snowboarding

Options
  • 11-11-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

First off apologies mods if this isn't correct forum, travel may be more appropriate?

So here goes
    Wondering has anybody any experience renting out a room, and snowboarding for 2-3 months of a season, say Feb and March?
    Not necessarily a working holiday, but just renting there, boarding for couple months.

Has anybody done this? Does anybody know the best areas to do this? Was thinking maybe Austria or France, but am open to other areas. I've only been once but would love to do this and think I may have an oportunity now. And roughly what type of prices are you talking for accom, renting of gear?
    Anybody with with any experience, links to useful sites, or tips on the above would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I'm going for a month next feb/mar. Renting apartment in Mayrhofen with a mate. Accommodation isn't cheap. Renting car and have a Tirol snowcard. I don't rent gear. Cost works out fine as I in the past I've gone for 3 individual weeks. It's the snowcard that will make a big difference. snowcard.tirol.at/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Accommodation: €500 per month easily in shared accom between 3-4ppl.
    Flights and transfers : €350 both ways at the cheapest
    Food & drink: all depends on you
    Lift Pass: €1000 or so for season. You won't get it cheap unless your a worker on 30hr a week contract.
    Board rental: best off buying, try eBay as your a newbie pick up something around €3-400 for board and bindings
    Boots: buy a pair, vans hi standard around €130 new

Pick somewhere you wanna ski and live and go from there. Join seasonaires pages on fb as loads head home January/February and try offload their beds.
    It'll be an expensive 2-3 months for you if your not working. Seasonaires will have gotten all their discount cards for bars and restaurants by then so expect to pay Punter prices!!

It'll really be upto yourself how you get on in making friends and getting in with other workers in resort to blag a few lessons etc..

Any more questions shout. I've holidayed in most of Austria and done last season in Val d'Isere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

karl83 wrote: »
    Accommodation: €500 per month easily in shared accom between 3-4ppl.
    Flights and transfers : €350 both ways at the cheapest
    Food & drink: all depends on you
    Lift Pass: €1000 or so for season. You won't get it cheap unless your a worker on 30hr a week contract.
    Board rental: best off buying, try eBay as your a newbie pick up something around €3-400 for board and bindings
    Boots: buy a pair, vans hi standard around €130 new

Pick somewhere you wanna ski and live and go from there. Join seasonaires pages on fb as loads head home January/February and try offload their beds.
    It'll be an expensive 2-3 months for you if your not working. Seasonaires will have gotten all their discount cards for bars and restaurants by then so expect to pay Punter prices!!

It'll really be upto yourself how you get on in making friends and getting in with other workers in resort to blag a few lessons etc..

Any more questions shout. I've holidayed in most of Austria and done last season in Val d'Isere.

Is it really that common that people leave in Jan, Feb? Do they fail to get jobs, get hurt or earn less and spend more than expected or what?

I was told here its not that common at all.

More than often it's injury, but yea in val last season a good 20 or so departed from end of Jan on and beds become free.
    Money is always an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

lbj666 wrote: »
    Is it really that common that people leave in Jan, Feb? Do they fail to get jobs, get hurt or earn less and spend more than expected or what?

I was told here its not that common at all.

About 20% of seasonaires will disappear by FEB, Injury, STI'S, Illness, burnout, money, realizing its not for them, there are many factors!

Season pass will be anywhere between 400-1500 euro depending on resort, for example a Zillertal Superpass for the season is 650 euro covering 8 resorts and extensive snowsure skiing. The season pass where I am for suckers that pay is 875-999 CHF Verbier is 1,400 (I think from memory)

Look if you can live with having, piss all money, and enjoy the mountains its for you! You will never be rich but then again you wont starve!

• Advertisement

Try reading the Belle De Neige blog or her book Chalet Bitch to get an idea

Fattes wrote: »
    About 20% of seasonaires will disappear by FEB, Injury, STI'S, Illness, burnout, money, realizing its not for them, there are many factors!

Season pass will be anywhere between 400-1500 euro depending on resort, for example a Zillertal Superpass for the season is 650 euro covering 8 resorts and extensive snowsure skiing. The season pass where I am for suckers that pay is 875-999 CHF Verbier is 1,400 (I think from memory)

Look if you can live with having, piss all money, and enjoy the mountains its for you! You will never be rich but then again you wont starve!

Or get the snowcard which also includes that area. I'd love to hit up Verbier though. I don't know how many times I've watch the FWT videos. Scares the **** out of me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Ive been offered work in verbier for the season and i'm on the edge of taking it, sorta talking myself out of it in a way due to cost of food and drink and the possibility of getting tired of boarding since ill be on my own... hopefully meet some people over there too...

Any one any experience working a full season and what its like? :confused::confused:

Ive been offered work in verbier for the season and i'm on the edge of taking it, sorta talking myself out of it in a way due to cost of food and drink and the possibility of getting tired of boarding since ill be on my own... hopefully meet some people over there too...
    Any one any experience working a full season and what its like? :confused::confused:

Jump at it and go, if you can. One of the best resorts on the planet with the most amazing terrain and nightlife! Plus you get the WFT rolling into town in March the shred the Bec!

Yes its pricey but if you have a job, you will all ready be ahead, you will know poeple, they will show you where to drink and more importantly when (Happy hour) rarely stops in most ski resorts if you know where to look!!

Accommodation will be your biggest outlay and it is not cheap in Verbier! It was part of the reason I did not base myself there, the other being I dont have the self control not to have drunk myself into a stupper by Christmas!

With the work package accommodation is included and its a 4 day week, i just need to buy the lift pass and I'm all set, been looking up reviews and i think I'm definitely going to do this, otherwise id have a lot of regret for passing it up

• Advertisement

With the work package accommodation is included and its a 4 day week, i just need to buy the lift pass and I'm all set, been looking up reviews and i think I'm definitely going to do this, otherwise id have a lot of regret for passing it up

You would be mad to if they are covering accommodation, you can expect to loose about 1,400 euro for the season pass! But the area is amazing Vezonay has some great slopes, I should be out there for a few days in Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Definitely don't worry about going on your own anyway. You'll meet loads of people.

Also, check if being a resort worker gets you a discount on the lift pass. Some resorts offer significant discounts.

One thing to verify is if it's 4 full days of work and 3 full days off, or something like 2 full days and 4 half days or days with split shifts etc...all of which can seriously ruin a day's potential for boarding/skiing. I was extremely lucky in that I got bar work in a bar that didn't open 'til 4 so could board most of the day every day if I wanted (or wasn't hungover). My working week was 4 full days and 2 half days, but it was fine due to the hours and the fact most of my friends drank in our pub anyway! Some chalet people got 3 hours-ish off per day

Best of luck with it - it'll be a memorable experience! I saw a post on fb recently asking for bartenders back at the same pub and even though I live on the other side of the world now and have access to mountains whenever I want and a career I love, I still thought "jeez, I'd love to!"

Ive just accepted the job so its time to enter the unknown! The job is being a transfer driver to and from the airports, so 4 full days work and 3 days off......

Ive wanted to do this the last 4 years after my first trip with college in first year so now time to man up and do it!

Lift pass discount in Verbier ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Jesus, you lads craic me up!!

Verbier has actually just removed it's discount for ISIA instructors and only the Swiss ski school get it!

Transfer driver, is one of those golden jobs, especially in Verbier it's about a 2 hour drive around the lake. Russians have been known to leave their ahem nieces as tips!!!

Also Transfer drivers are popular in resort as they can drop people in places, squeeze in an extra mate on the return leg etc

Ive just accepted the job so its time to enter the unknown! The job is being a transfer driver to and from the airports, so 4 full days work and 3 days off......

Ive wanted to do this the last 4 years after my first trip with college in first year so now time to man up and do it!

I'd probably quit my job to do that or ask for unpaid leave.

The FWT is awesome. I'll be glued to a tv somewhere watching it. Xaviers run in 2010 at the final in Verbier haunts my dreams. Absolutely no fear.

I'd probably quit my job to do that or ask for unpaid leave.

The FWT is awesome. I'll be glued to a tv somewhere watching it. Xaviers run in 2010 at the final in Verbier haunts my dreams. Absolutely no/quote]

Best thing about the week is the athletes are just shredding around everywhere!!

You will have the time of your life. I did last season in Val d'Isere and loved every second.. One of the best tips Fattes gave me was ride everyday and go out and meet as many friends as possible. I think there were at least 100 of us all hanging out together by the end of it. Driving is sweet too, you'll make lot's of friends bringing them to the local supermarket etc.. Work hard and play hard.
    I was ment to be back in Val this year for the season but something came up. Raging I'm not there but there's always next year.

Just thought I'd say many thanks for the information on seasons!!!!

Loving it in Verbier!! Should have started doing seasons years ago :p

Advertisement