Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance work while on the dole

Options
  • 11-11-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for any information about working as a freelancer while on the dole. I have no problem coming off the dole for days that I work or paying tax on anything that I earn while freelancing, but Im not sure how to go about it all.

Having spoken to the dole office I am under the impression that once I apply for a tax number, I am no longer entitled to the dole. Is this correct?

As I am only on the dole for 6 months, I can't apply for the BTWE, and I can only see it being 4 or 5 days a month at present as the work is mainly in the summer. I am actively looking for full time employment, but it seems crazy to have to turn down work that comes my way, just because it is contract work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Are you on benefit or allowance. If benefit then you can just let them know the days you work. If you are on allowance you can have self employment category put on your claim and your means from self employment will be assessed/projected by a social welfare inspector and they will be spread over the year. So you can retain your jobseekers allowance if your means are not deemed means in excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Thanks for that eastbono. On JS Allowance. Is what you are talking about the short term enterprise allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

No...short term enterprise allowance if for people starting up a business whilst on JS Benefit. You could apply for Back to work enterprise allowance which is for JS Allowance wishing to start up a business. Technically you arent starting a business you will just be doing some self employed work so you can just let them know in sw and you can continue to receive payment while you are self employed but with means assessed from self employment.

Have a look at this

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Self-Employed-and-Jobseekers-Supports.aspx

Advertisement