Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy now or wait until New year.

Options
  • 11-11-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Simple question guys. I am ready to purchase a used car. Thinking 2009 0r 2010. Would i be better off waiting until new year as in on the reg the car will be a year older hence i might get a better deal. possible Opel insignia Ford Mondeo or VW Passat type car.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

I'd imagine you would get a better deal in the new year with people trading in their 09/10 car for a newer model. I'd guess there would be good options available then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Used car prices traditionally don't drop on Jan 1st. Prices normally start dropping on used cars come the end of October or beginning of November as dealers tend to want them gone before the end of the year. So anyone trading in a car at this time of year the dealer will probably give them a similar trade-in price come January.

Anyone buying a new model Passat or Mondeo for early new year delivery and trading their old car will have had to put their name down on the order books by now and the dealer would have already given them the new year trade-in value price at this stage.

So either keep an eye on prices over the next few weeks or hold off until about late February or March when used car prices start dropping again.

Advertisement