Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checking anti-freeze levels in coolant

Options
  • 11-11-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭

just wondering what is required to DIY test anti-freeze levels in coolant and do garages routinely test levels during 'normal' service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Or suction out some and put it in a freezer. Shouldn't freeze as they are around -22.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not part of normal service. You can ask for it though.
    When in doubt when you last changed coolant at all, change all the coolant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

biko wrote: »
    It's not part of normal service. You can ask for it though.
    When in doubt when you last changed coolant at all, change all the coolant.

Car is 6 years old and I have never changed the coolant or specifically asked for it to be checked/changed at a service. Probably better to change coolant at this stage. Presumably a fool proof DIY job even for a DIY challenged person - drain and refill?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, drain and refill. Google the specifics like coolant type and drain plug location for your model car (you didn't mention it) and remember to keep the coolant and recycle locally at your council depot.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Yes, drain and refill. Google the specifics like coolant type and drain plug location for your model car (you didn't mention it) and remember to keep the coolant and recycle locally at your council depot.

Sorry Ford S-Max 2L TCDi

For information I got my hands on a Ford service schedule sheet for a 6 year old car and it advises that the antifreeze concentration should be checked at but that the cooling system should be drained, flushed and refiled with purple super plus (LTS 24 122 4) every 10 years. Might get the the Halford tester linked above and if antifreeze levels OK then I leave it for a while.

Advertisement