Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working child-parents on benefits

Options
  • 11-11-2014 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi folks
    My 18 yr old has been on Jobseekers allowance for a few months and has just been offered a temporary contract (basically 6 weeks Christmas work) Im permanently disabled in receipt of Disability allowance and his dad is my full time carer. we are a little worried about how they will reassess the family finances now he is earning and still at home. we still have 2 small children at home and can't imagine being able to manage if our benefits were cut. Does anyone know how they assess a situation like this? Is there a specific formula for an earning child? surely they wouldn't expect an 18 year old to support a whole family? Any advice would be welcomed.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your 18 year old`s income is unlikely to be accessed as means for the house hold,however it may effect any other payments you may be getting ie household benefits package ect.The above is just my opinion.

have a read here http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Means-Assessment.aspx#sect2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Your sons earning will not be assessed against your payments. The only issue I can see is with Fuel Allowance if you are in receipt of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

It may effect your rent if you are in council property to a small extent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

As long as the Household Benefits are in your husband's name then you can keep them. If they're not in his name then put them in his name.

Advertisement