Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to live in kilkenny city

Options
  • 11-11-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I will have to move down to work in kilkenny after christmas. I am just wondering what are the good areas to live in and are there any particular areas to avoid?

Also what is the city like in general (never been there before)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Anywhere on the johnswell road is fairly ok and the Kells road there the only areas I know and have lived in. Johnswell road is probably the best area loads of shops lidl aldi eurospar and mac donagh junction with dunnes. And easy access to the motorway. Newer part of town so roads are better laid out

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

linny wrote: »
    Anywhere on the johnswell road is fairly ok and the Kells road there the only areas I know and have lived in. Johnswell road is probably the best area loads of shops lidl aldi eurospar and mac donagh junction with dunnes. And easy access to the motorway. Newer part of town so roads are better laid out

thanks.

are there any particular areas to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

thanks.

are there any particular areas to avoid?

Robertshill and the estates around Hebron would be considered quite rough.

Be careful with city centre apartments like the ones on Friary Street, many have storage heaters and will cost you a fortune to heat the place!

Ill probably take a trip down some day before christmas. you can kind of gauge from driving around which areas are good and bad.

I am just looking for an ordinary area that wont give me hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

Mahamageehad have you lived in any of the areas you are criticing? because I do and I can tell you that is wrong,the community spirit is very strong here and everyone looks out for everyone else,we have a very quiet estate and little or no trouble,and its usually from youths coming in from "private" estates so I suggest you get your facts right before printing lies again,also to the 1st poster accommadation is hard to get here presently so you may start looking soon,we have a beautiful city with lots to enjoy and i hope you enjoy your stay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

mefynn wrote: »
    Mahamageehad have you lived in any of the areas you are criticing? because I do and I can tell you that is wrong,the community spirit is very strong here and everyone looks out for everyone else,we have a very quiet estate and little or no trouble,and its usually from youths coming in from "private" estates so I suggest you get your facts right before printing lies again,also to the 1st poster accommadation is hard to get here presently so you may start looking soon,we have a beautiful city with lots to enjoy and i hope you enjoy your stay

To be fair he only said they have that reputation of being rough, which they have. Might well be wrong, but you ask most people around Kilkenny what they think of Hebron or Robertshill, you'll get the same answer. Good on you for stating an alternative view for whichever estate you live on, and maybe that will help change perceptions.

FWIW, I lived on a notorious estate in England when I bought my first house and it was a trouble free few years in a great house, I'd recommend the area to anyone, so reputations don't necessarily go hand in hand with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Robertshill has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years so that idea is nonsense.

Kilkenny is very lucky to not have too many areas that would be considered 'bad' to live in. There were quite a few when I was growing up but all of them seem to have changed for the better.

Tbh, I can't think of any right now that have a particularly bad reputation. Of course, I may be corrected!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

ok im getting kind of mixed replies so the best thing i will do is take a trip down before the christmas and check it out myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

ok im getting kind of mixed replies so the best thing i will do is take a trip down before the christmas and check it out myself.

Probably your safest bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Kleaner

Hi Guys,

Got job in VHI the in the city starting in december was wondering would anyone out there have a room for rent please..not flushed till payday 11th jan but can pay some money towards...hope you can help.

James

Kleaner wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Got job in VHI the in the city starting in december was wondering would anyone out there have a room for rent please..not flushed till payday 11th jan but can pay some money towards...hope you can help.

James

hey this is my thread yer bastard......im joking......rent.ie or maybe daft.ie have some places to share

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

OP you also need to take into account location of your job, if you have a car etc.
    If you were working in VHI and walking to work then Robertshill/Kells Rd. etc would not make sense.
    Similarly if working in State Street/Banking 365 then Parcnagowan/Clongowan areas would be perfect but city centre/comer and freshford roads are the far side.

Thanks guys for the advice yeah would be walking to work and its 2.5km out from the city know nobody in kilkenny or dont even know any landlords to get in contact with thats why I have turned to this...if anyone hears of any rooms please let me know would be greatly apprciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Kleaner wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the advice yeah would be walking to work and its 2.5km out from the city know nobody in kilkenny or dont even know any landlords to get in contact with thats why I have turned to this...if anyone hears of any rooms please let me know would be greatly apprciated.

Again if you indicated 2.5kms in which direction it might help people help you. i.e. Waterford road, Dublin Road, Castlecomer road etc As you will be walking it's best if you are on the right side of town to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

mefynn wrote: »

Woah woah woah, calm down now. I never criticised the estates, i said that they would be considered to be quiet rough. I never personally lived there but a friend lived there for a year so I spent quite a bit of time there. She had no real trouble there but didn't feel comfortable walking through the area alone at night mainly because of kids hanging around. And your "get your facts right" comment is completely ridiculous, we're not talking about "facts" here, we're talking about opinions!!!!

You are correct that it's difficult to find accommodation, one can't really be too picky in Kilkenny at the moment. I would strongly advise the OP to set up a daft alert and call immediately when new listings do up. It took almost two months for me to find a new 2 bed place this summer with parking.

As stated below a direction would really help, even if you don't want to name the employer.

Cheers guys yeah sorry the employer is located on the dublin road purcell lynch in dustrial estate

Advertisement