Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Boring Sandwiches Depress Me...

Options
  • 11-11-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭

There has to be more to life than ham/chicken and ham/corned beef/luncheon roll & cheese... Really with work a sandwich is my only food option in the evenings and Aldi is my only shopping option. I recently started making nice toasties in a frying pan American style but I dont want ot be eating that every day.

What would you do to make a nice sandwich using Aldi ingredients?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aldi has a big range of stuff for sandwiches.

Do you like blue cheese? They do a decent roquefort in there. Grab a jar of the roasted peppers, and a few pears. Stick your bread in the toaster. Slather your hot toast with wodges of the blue cheese, a slice of pear and some peppers. really delicious. Throw the oil from the peppers over some salad leaves if you are inclined.

Smoked peppered mackerel is in there too. Put it on some of the rosemary crackers, with some mayonaise.

Get a block of feta (greek style cheese I think they call it), spring onions, some of the cooked vac packed beetroot, and you have the basis for something yummy. A salad if you chop them and put them on leaves. Slice a roll in half, spread pesto on it, top with your beetroot/feta/onion mix and under the grill. Bit of pepper on top = food of the gods. Stick a couple of eggs in a frying pan, chuck your mix in... fancy pants omelette.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm, thanks but none of that sounds very appetising. Peppers, blue cheese and pears in a toasted sandwich?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, if you want something more exciting than chicken or luncheon meat, you'll have to open your mind a bit :).

Sandwich options are endless! Aldi have nice Serrano ham that you could use for a change. Or make a BLT, or use different cheeses (blue cheese, mozzarella, Brie, etc). Really, the world is your oyster and Aldi sell pretty much anything you'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

what about trying a bagel. toasted.... with cream cheese and Serrano/blackforrest ham. Tbh the variations of fillings are endless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I see you like corned beef. My mother used to put it through her old mincer with onion and chopped tomatoes to make a really nice sandwich spread. I give it a quick blitz in the food processor and it's really nice with lettuce and mayo on a sandwich.

I like an open sandwich on McCambridge's brown bread, toasted on one side. Spread it with mayo and a dollop of pesto, put some chicken or turkey on top with sliced tomatoes and onions, sweetcorn if you have it and grated cheese, then put it under the grill for a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tuna melt
    Smoked salmon, cream cheese, black pepper & lemon juice on a bagel or toasted soda bread
    A roll or toast with sliced tomatoes, salt, olive oil & mozzarella (from a ball, not grated)
    Ham, pickle & cheese
    Pitta & hummous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I need to make some changes as well. Work doesn't allow a fridge or hot food, I bring an ice pack with my lunchbox, daily.

Most day it's meat, homemade chutney, brown bread and goat cheese/brie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

there are endless options that don't need cooking/heating. pita bread with tuna salad. Hard boiled eggs, cold pasta salad. Once uve a lunch box and a fork the world is ur (insert any foodstuff here)!!!
    Vary condiments and additions and u can have a vastly different meal every evening even using the same basic meat/filling!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mashed avocado so it's a spread and some egg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh! Forgot about avocado. I love avocado, a squeeze of lemon juice, olive oil & salt on toast.

I like a club sandwich as a treat. Bacon, chicken, egg, tomato, lettuce, mayo. On toasted bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Make one trip to a butchers to get a shoulder of pork.
    Go into the Cooking Club forum.
    Open "Pulled Pork" by Sparks.
    Cook it over the weekend and you'll have an amazing sandwich filler for the entire week that will incite envy of everyone in your office!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If I am stuck for inspiration for sandwiches I normally google sandwich bars menus. American based ones in particular give you great ideas of interesting combos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thargor wrote: »
    Hmmm, thanks but none of that sounds very appetising. Peppers, blue cheese and pears in a toasted sandwich?

Heh, I meant more of a cheaters bruschetta, but that combo is the food of gods!

I pass an aldi on my way to work, where I have a toaster and a kettle as my cooking equipment. I love a bit of variety in food, so I look at food blogs for a bit of inspiration at the weekends. Aldi has mountains of chutneys, pickles, olive, stuffed peppers, jars of crazy interesting things that are great for quick no-cook lunches or for tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You need to consider the bread, as well as the filling. No matter how exotix the filling, you are going to meet mightily sick of white processed sliced pan very quickly.
    I find using different bread every day makes a huge difference - bagels, ciabatta, wrap, granary - all available in Aldi and all freeze easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

huskerdu wrote: »
    You need to consider the bread, as well as the filling. No matter how exotix the filling, you are going to meet mightily sick of white processed sliced pan very quickly.
    I find using different bread every day makes a huge difference - bagels, ciabatta, wrap, granary - all available in Aldi and all freeze easily.
    Yes definitely agree with that, all those pacaged ones in Aldi are rank though, I prefer to swing out of my way to a Lidl bakery. I was in Tesco the other day and got a huge Tesco Finest ciabatta and it was spectacular, havent found one back there since though.

Thanks for the tips everybody I'm going to start expanding into Parma ham and the Spanish meats, the reviews look good online for the Aldi ones, Id always dismissed them as cheap sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

In a closed sandwich the bread IS the main part, it's the first thing you feel, smell and taste, get it wrong and it doesn't matter what the filling is.

Obviously, even the best of bread won't make fish haters like sardine fillings or entice vegetarians to eat salt beef, but the variety is almost endless. Though I do enjoy an occasional gluey white sliced pan sandwich with a slab of roast beef, onions and mustard :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also try Aldi's Mediterranean wraps (I like the wholemeal ones). They are somewhere between a wrap/tortilla and a pita.
    You can warm them up in a dry pan or microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

Aldi do nice littls ciabatas and panini rolls for a sandwich. Try some of their smoked chese with some rocket and ham as a toasted sandwich. You can add mayonaise and mustard and either toast it or just slap it in the microwave for a few seconds, just to heat it slightly so the cheese gets a bit melty. They do very nice variations on hams. You could also try beef with horseradish sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Calories can be a concern especially for delicious Bagels if you have them regularly . Some breads have higher proteins in them than others so if sandwiches are a regular feature look at how much protein the bread has per 100g. Some breads are as low as 3g while others can be in the 10 to 12g ballpark per 100g which is better in my opinion.
    I love spicy chutneys in my sandwiches , mango and sweet pepper etc. Diversity is the key to not being bored e.g try Olive oil instead of butter one one day for example. And try to squeeze some healthy items in there, even if you dont like them a half a teaspoon of Avocado mashed in will do wonders for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

toasted bagel with slice of cheddar, ballymaloe and streaky rashers, Saturday morning breakfast of kings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IMO a sandwich is anything you can get to stay between two pieces of bread, or in a wrap or pitta. I frequently make scrambled egg sandwiches.

Parma ham, brie, lettuce
    Cheese, lettuce, tomato, salami
    My favourite toastie - John West tuna and sundried tomato, mayonnaise, salad
    Meatloaf and salad
    Today I had pulled pork, cheese, and salad on a seeded bap (and it was gorgeous)

You can also get thermos flasks with wide openings which are perfect for stews and whatnot.

Advertisement