Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Factory Unlock

Options
  • 11-11-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

First time poster here so sorry if I make any mistake. Making story short - I was in Belfast, UK recently and I to bought an iPhone 6 SIM Free in a shop. I asked the vendor few times if I will be able to use it with an Irish SIM and he said "YES". Once I came back to Dublin with my phone and I try to insert my Irish SIM I'm getting an error of "SIM Not Valid" and I'm not able to finish with the setup process even when the coverage bar is coming up on the screen.

I found at their website that the "iPhone is unlocked when you buy it SIM free but Apple's software means it locks to the first network you use it with" and it seems that they're UK locked, something called Factory Unlock. To be honest I'm not very familiar with this and was thinking to go back to Belfast this weekend and get a refund back because at the end of the day the phone is perfect but doesn't work in Ireland.

Any ideas what's the issue here? I have tried to get some help from different companies and every person seems to have a different solution for this.

Can I unlock this phone with my current phone company?

Any help will be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think that's what happens with iPhones sold in carphone warehouse. I don't think you can buy an unlocked iPhone in a shop other than an Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 victorm307

Thanks for such a quick response @guil .

Is there any way to unlock it ? I was silly because the Apple Store was right in front of this store!

:(

Unfortunately you will have to contact the network it was bought from and ask them. How long ago did you buy it? I'd bring it back and get it in the Apple store.

I bought it last Sunday but they have been very sleazy about it , I asked the seller twice before buying the phone and said I 'll be fine. I called them yesterday and they said they would call me, but nothing. Not a word!

Find out what network it is on. Unless the shop are going to arrange for it to be unlocked it might work out cheaper to get it unlocked from the network than travelling back to Belfast. O2 uk will unlock a phone for £15 credit on a SIM card.

• Advertisement

I have contacted O2 and they're not unlocking iPhone 6 yet. I have contacted another companies and they said the same thing. Wonder if an Irish company can unlock it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

i am thinking of buying iphone 6 plus in PC World in Newry because i have a gift card that i need to use, would the phone be locked for irish networks also?

@4real I'm not sure, just make sure you ask them and insist to test your Irish SIM card before you pay.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

4real wrote: »
    i am thinking of buying iphone 6 plus in PC World in Newry because i have a gift card that i need to use, would the phone be locked for irish networks also?

They have no affiliation to any networks so it would be unlocked.

OP, did you try another SIM to rule out a potential fault as your SIM FREE purchase should be just that!

victorm307 wrote: »
    I have contacted O2 and they're not unlocking iPhone 6 yet. I have contacted another companies and they said the same thing. Wonder if an Irish company can unlock it here?

Ring Apple support and give them the serial number. They will tell you if it's locked and to what network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

@4real I'm not sure, just make sure you ask them and insist to test your Irish SIM card before you pay.

;)
    dodzy wrote: »

OP, did you try another SIM to rule out a potential fault as your SIM FREE purchase should be just that!

Even though PC World may have no affiliation to any particular network, it doesnt mean they are not selling them on particular networks.

If you want a sim free one, buy it from Apple in Belfast, or buy from www.apple.ie

Buying from PC World without understanding how to check if its network locked or not is a big risk, and no shop will allow you to open an iPhone 6 to "test" your sim card.

No I haven't, just tried my current SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

kceire wrote: »
    Even though PC World may have no affiliation to any particular network, it doesnt mean they are not selling them on particular networks.

If you want a sim free one, buy it from Apple in Belfast, or buy from www.apple.ie

Buying from PC World without understanding how to check if its network locked or not is a big risk, and no shop will allow you to open an iPhone 6 to "test" your sim card.

the only reason is that I have gift cards that i want to use otherwise why would I bother.....I have asked their customer support but I wonder if they will know about this..

.....I have asked their customer support but I wonder if they will know about this..
    It is a MUST know for a CS agent. If they tell you it's unlocked, then I'd be surprised if that's not the case, and definite grounds for a refund.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It is a MUST know for a CS agent. If they tell you it's unlocked, then I'd be surprised if that's not the case, and definite grounds for a refund.

I think he will be ok.
    Type SIM-free smartphone

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/broadband-sat-nav-phones/mobile-phones-broadband/mobile-phones/sim-free-phones/apple-iphone-6-16-gb-silver-10071853-pdt.html#cat-0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

As far as I know the only place to buy an unlocked iPhone is direct from Apple. The rest will lock to the first sim card inserted.

As far as I know the only place to buy an unlocked iPhone is direct from Apple. The rest will lock to the first sim card inserted.
    if it's unlocked to accept any sim initially, that's the way it stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

if it's unlocked to accept any sim initially, that's the way it stays.

Nope.

Advertisement