Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Join UK Military

Options
  • 11-11-2014 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I often drop in on this forum as I have an interest in all things military.

I wouldnt have the knowledge that a lot of you guys have or anywhere near so forgive me if my question is silly.

I have read a good few times on this forum about Irish lads \ Ladies joining the UK military, and wondered (And this is NOT a shame on you for joining the Brits question I hasten to ad) if further down the line after you joined the UK army and hypothetically things got bad again in NI or for some reason relations between the republic and the UK turned sour and you as an Irish person but serving the UK military, how would you feel about having to possibly be on the opposing side to the army of your own country ?

As I said, this isnt a political question, purely one out of interest, and can I ad I have the utmost respect for anyone that would make that decision if they found the Irish army didnt provide the choices they wanted as a recruit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

First of all it's unlikely because in spite of our so called differences the two countries have always maintained a close relationship.

The only plausible scenario would be where Ireland went rogue and became a sort of a European Cuba or was taken over by an ultra nationalist leader who became hostile to the UK or Europe. In that case many people in Ireland would oppose the regime. Think Cuba where many exiles actively work against the Cuban regime.

So it could be seen as patriotic to fight against the government of your own country.

Advertisement