Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving cert

Options
  • 10-11-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I completed my leaving certificate in 2014 and got 360 I was doing a nursing course but soon realised it wasn't for me. I am set on doing home economics and re teaching that's all I want to do I am so passionate about it. I want to repeat the leaving cert and I am willing to give 110% of hard work I have all the notes from last year so it would just be revision. Do any of you think I could start repeating now even though it's the start of November ? Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember some of the courses will have changed. The Geog project for example will be different, as will the prescribed texts for English. You will have to do a new History essay.

Only you know if you're prepared to put in the work. The deadline to apply as an external student for the LC will be in January.

Make sure you have investigated the repercussions grant-wise of starting a second 'first' year.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wilfork

There is enough time if you study every hour between now and June. I was like you, and I came up 155 points after repeating after a gap of a few years. Best decision I ever made because I got the course I wanted. But I mean I was seeeeriously dedicated.

How many points do you need? You should enrol in a repeat leaving cert course if its not too late. Some schools do them, like the Carlow institute for further education. I know you say you have the notes, but are you sure they are good enough if you got 360? I don't mean any offence by that, and it's not to suggest that 360 isn't respectable, but maybe you could benefit from studying the syllabus again in a concentrated, structured format like a repeat leaving cert course. I got similar points the first time and I know that the materials I prepared would have been rubbish because of a poor work ethic the first time around

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BelieveICanFly

Thanks for your reply. I'd need 440 but I could get away with 420 points so yano it's a good bit. Yea I know what you mean with my notes but I felt last year it kinda piled up on me like I wasn't very organised i think I kinda panicked. But I feel so dedicated now I really want to do it. My old school doesn't take on repeats. Im waiting on a reply from another school but I need to start asap !!

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be doing history or geography as I didn't do them last year anyway. Only problem is home economics there is a journal to do fir that but I think the deadline has passed and that is my best subject :( I don't know id do business biology and maybe religion :/ I hope hope I can repeat this year because I'm so fed up doing NOTHING :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be doing history or geography as I didn't do them last year anyway. Only problem is home economics there is a journal to do fir that but I think the deadline has passed and that is my best subject :( I don't know id do business biology and maybe religion :/ I hope hope I can repeat this year because I'm so fed up doing NOTHING :(

Have you formally withdrawn from your nursing course? And informed SUSI, so that there won't be any issue if you get a place somewhere else next year?

• Advertisement

Yes I pulled out before fees I don't get Susi unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yeah you won't be able to do Home Ec this year. What subjects did you do last year? Economics is one you could definitely take up in your timeframe. You could leave out a lot of the course and with a bit of rote-learning and hard work, achieve a B grade.

If you want to do Home Ec teaching, I presume you'll be going to St. Angela's? A girl I know is up there and it's pretty intense. 9-5 most days and lots of assignment work. There's quite a bit of Chemistry involved as well which she is struggling with. Just because you liked a subject for LC doesn't necessarily mean you'll excel at it in college. I got an A1 in LC Economics and am finding it tough going in college. Look into it a bit more you have a brand new, fresh CAO form to fill out so don't feel you have to pin yourself down to one area.

Hi, yea unfortunately I got word from back from a school there and they said I would be mad starting now. My option is to work fir this year get myself a car and maybe repeat next year?:/ so tough tho and I'd be 20 starting :/ I heard it's tough but I just know I want to be a hec teacher I can just imagine myself as one of u get me. It's just a dream I'm prepared to work at it no matter how tough. If you don't mind me asking do you know any back doors into hec if I did maybe a course in something else ? This would save me repeating :L

Advertisement