Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing part L of building regs new build

Options
  • 10-11-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if some informed member of boards could help me please. I am almost ready to send in a commencement notice on a new build. I got planning 2.5 years ago. I had to do a provincial ber cert done but it came back as a B1 and my ber assessor said it now needs to be A3. He informs me if I change my current oil boiler solar panels and stove back boiler system to an air to water heat pump system I will get the a3 that I need.

My questions
    What happens if I ignore his recommendations and use the oil and solar when and how will affect me that the build did not meet the regs?

Does the fact I got planning 2.5 years ago give me any exemption from the regs brought in on march 1st?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Q1. (Mod hat on) If you don't comply with building regs, you are breaking the law and we will not discuss that hereyour assigned certifier will not be able to sign of the building for starters
    Q2. It's when the commencement notice goes in not when you got planning

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There is absolutely no need to make such a drastic change to your specification. I have yet to see a design that Solar panels and a wood stove won't get passed.

Tell your assessor that you intend to use (a) solar heating in the first instance so what amount is required and
    (b) if you use a dedicated wood stove, what impact it has.

I am very wary of assessors who seem to push one type of system and disregard others out of hand without valid reasoning.
    Most basic specs these days (triple glazing, 0.21 walls, 0.13 roofs, 0.15 floors) are passing. Even better if a hrv system is proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

thanks for the reply BryanF
    If you were starting a new build on a 2200 sq ft bungalow what heating system would you use?

thanks the syndthebeat
    funny you said that because my assessor is really pushing the air to water I did not realise solar and wood stove could give me compliance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Give him the chance to review it from an oil solar and wood view point, and if he dismisses it straight out id seek a second opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

e30fitz wrote: »
    thanks for the reply BryanF
    If you were starting a new build on a 2200 sq ft bungalow what heating system would you use?
    Your heating system depends on YOUR house and YOUR preference.

Ti anwser you're question: Log gasification boiler for heating & hot water
    & Probably a really small output 'feature' stove to look at

If I was designing a house, I'd be trying to make it smaller than 2200sqft (bunaglow has the biggest external surface area) super insulating it/ orientating everything possible to the south, using the phpp software to acturately work out the heating demand and to minimise thermal losses, then if designed/detailed & constructed (consideration of low carbon construction & use ) id like to think this could be a timber stove(back boiler), with solar thermal or PV for part L

BryanF wrote: »
    Your heating system depends on YOUR house and YOUR preference.

Ti anwser you're question: Log gasification boiler for heating & hot water
    & Probably a really small output 'feature' stove to look at

If I was designing a house, I'd be trying to make it smaller than 2200sqft (bunaglow has the biggest external surface area) super insulating it/ orientating everything possible to the south, using the phpp software to acturately work out the heating demand and to minimise thermal losses, then if designed/detailed & constructed (consideration of low carbon construction & use ) id like to think this could be a timber stove(back boiler), with solar thermal or PV for part L

I know it will be my preference and to help me make up my mind Im interested in hearing opinions of knowledgeable boards members like yourself. Im guessing your not a fan of the air to water systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

e30fitz wrote: »
    I know it will be my preference and to help me make up my mind Im interested in hearing opinions of knowledgeable boards members like yourself. Im guessing your not a fan of the air to water systems.

....whether you use air-water is not the issue. It's whether the building you put it into has been designed/constructed to a standard where the air-water system will work (economically). Just buying an AWHP based on it's performance on-paper/catalogue is the wrong way to go about it.

Think about it: the better your building fabric, the LESS important/influence your method of heating becomes, as it will consume less energy anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I have yet to see a design that Solar panels and a wood stove won't get passed.

What syd says is spot on.

Worth noting the compliance process is made substantially easier by carrying out a thermal bridging calculation and not using the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The rating is actually not relevant the Assessor is having difficulty with the Carbon Cooefficients and the renewable 10% requirement, however like all thing sin life there are many ways to skin cat, you assessor should be advising you of other options, such as solar and wood stove and also cost for the various systems. Heat pumps are expensive to install so are not for everyone, I would generally prefer to get people spend their money on better insulation and glazing as it generally lasts longer and less on flashy heating systems!

• Advertisement
Advertisement