Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next to or opposite each other?

Options
  • 10-11-2014 5:32pm

Saw people talking about it over on reddit in "things that make you uncomfortable". Apparently, some people think it's weird to sit next to your boyfriend / girlfriend in a restaurant. I think once it's past dating stage, next to is better..

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Meal for 2: opposite sides of the table.

Pints/coffee/group: wherever you're comfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I prefer opposite or at a corner, it makes it easier to Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who has to pay the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It's just awkward being to the side of a person in general when there is only the two of you. Opposite is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Barpeople don't like it when I'm sitting opposite my mate when he is sitting at the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I rather looking directly at the person when I'm talking to them rather than talking to the side of their face. I also like my room, rather than feel like I'm being closed in.

Nah, beside each other I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Opposite diagonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Barpeople don't like it when I'm sitting opposite my mate when he is sitting at the bar

Good idea, poor execution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

My boyfriend always sits beside me on trains/ buses, etc. It annoys the crap out of me. Even when we sit at the kitchen table, he will often sit beside me if I sit down first. Wierdo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Boyfriend liked to sit beside me when we first started dating to he could give me a cuddle. Awwwww. :o

Not anymore though! :mad: That ship has sailed BIG style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

depends whether I'm in a footsie or handie type of mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Couldn't care less where he sits. I'm busy eating my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Boyfriend liked to sit beside me when we first started dating to he could give me a cuddle. Awwwww. :o

Maybe it's because you now have a beard? I'd say he cuddled you because you were clean shaven at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Opposite for everyone.

Goway and don't be touching me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The only people who sit beside their partners when eating are the ones who can't stand looking at their partners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Across the table, so we can arm wrestle (or thumb wrestle if you prefer) while waiting for food. Yes, we do this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

That ship not alone sailed for me but it sank. Lucky now if he sits in the same room.

auldgranny wrote: »
    That ship not alone sailed for me but it sank. Lucky now if he sits in the same room.

:-/ Sorry to hear that. Can anything be done?

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because you now have a beard? I'd say he cuddled you because you were clean shaven at the time.

Nah he fell for me BECAUSE of the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

:-/ Sorry to hear that. Can anything be done?

Awwww aren't you so nice. It's not really that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My (male) friend was once taken to be my partner simply because we (just the two of us) sitting beside each other (as opposed to facing each other ) and chatting in the pub. We're both male.

It's something that had honestly never occurred to me up to that point about where you sit being an indicator of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement