Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 minutes of hiccups

Options
  • 10-11-2014 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I've had hiccups for the past 28 minutes.

Please, someone help me.

I've held my breath, drank water upside down.

HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Tablespoon of Sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've had hiccups for the past 28 minutes.

Please, someone help me.

I've held my breath, drank water upside down.

HELP

Look in the mirror

Apparently a fright is the best cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Block your ears and drink a glass of water (possibly with the help of a straw). Works every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A vindaloo will cure that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

30 minutes of hiccups.

Fcuk me Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

30 minutes of hiccups.

Fcuk me Jesus.

That could also work :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Eat some food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

my bro in law had them for 2 days day and night during the summer for no reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Take 3 breaths as deep as you can, hold the third as you drink 5sips of water..

• Advertisement

youtube! wrote: »
    my bro in law had them for 2 days day and night during the summer for no reason

Ahhhh NO NO NO NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's really simple - hold your breath. Now before you say "it didn't work" I'll explain why. Holding your breath works by increasing the carbon dioxide level in your body causing your muscles to relax to conserve oxygen. If you hold your breath for long enough your diaphragm will relax. It's just a case of really holding your breath for much longer than you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Block your nose and breath from your mouth

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Know someone who has hiccups since age 13. In her 30's now.

Good luck OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Putting pressure on my chest and breathing as slowly and deeply as I can for a few breaths always does the job

I just googled it and apparently it's a thing

http://www.livestrong.com/article/101179-hiccups-pressure-points/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Had them for 2 days years ago!
    Horrible experience, couldn't go to sleep and they started to burn after awhile.

Then out of the blue I sneezed and they disappeared!
    Some relief!!!

38 minutes of hiccups, and they're finally gone. Thought they would never go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Take a mouthful of water but don't swallow. Put your head between your knees so that your head is upside down and swallow the entire mouthful in one big gulp.

Works for me.

Listen to some Garth Brooks and they'll leave in protest.

Candie wrote: »
    Listen to some Garth Brooks and they'll leave in protest.

That's what I was trying to do when they started. Brand new album to. They wouldn't leave me alone in peace to listen to my beloved GB. Couldn't come at a worst time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Need advice on hiccups....TO THE BOARDSMOBILE!!!

That's what I was trying to do when they started. Brand new album to. They wouldn't leave me alone in peace to listen to my beloved GB. Couldn't come at a worst time.

Your body is punishing you. Listen to it.

Sip some hot tea if holding your breath or very slow breaths as described by Bluewolf doesn't work. Slow and deep breaths while I sip a hot drink works for me, I suppose by relaxing the muscles. Getting anxious about it probably won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Candie wrote: »
    Your body is punishing you. Listen to it.

Sip some hot tea if holding your breath or very slow breaths as described by Bluewolf doesn't work. Slow and deep breaths work for me while I sip a hot drink works for me, I suppose by relaxing the muscles. Getting anxious about it probably won't help.

After that, make sure to tell us ALL ABOUT IT!

FionnK86 wrote: »
    After that, make sure to tell us ALL ABOUT IT!

I like details. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Had them for a month after minor surgery 28 mins is nothing .

One person recommend trying to sip water through a paper towel or clean tea towel

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I find that this always works. Take a deep breath in and hold. Then swallow. Don’t breathe out yet, and try to take another small breath in. Swallow again. Still don’t breathe out, take one more small breath in, swallow again. Then breathe out normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

28 minutes? Pfft, walk in the park. I've had them for hours before. There are no real proven ways to fix it yourself (though according to wikipedia, digital rectal massage is very effective :D). I've tried everything, holding your breath, drinking water or fizzy drinks or whatever, hitting your stomach while being upside down, etc. What happens is that something works once and you think, "Great Scott, I've cracked it!". Then you try it again next time and it doesn't work.

I generally get a bad attack when I'm fairly drunk, probably due to something misfiring in my brain. This in turn makes me grumpy and no fun to be around, so I spend about an hour fighting them (and trying all the usual tricks) before deciding to just go home, which in itself makes me extra grumpy. 99% of the time the hiccups then go away when I'm 2 minutes from home, which is very irritating. But my theory is that a combination of slightly sobering up and being able to relax in the taxi for 20 minutes makes them go away.

My suggestion is to relax. Find a couch and something interesting to watch, and do that. The more you focus on them, the longer they will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DonalanFear

38 minutes of hiccups, and they're finally gone. Thought they would never go.

Glad they're gone! What happened just before they stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So... Mrs Garth Brooks is allergic to listening to Garth Brooks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They were trying to save your ear drums!

Advertisement