Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking permit issue

Options
  • 10-11-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

I moved into an apartment in Cork city a couple of months ago and have since got a car. I started looking into getting the parking permit in the last couple of weeks. I have been told I'm not entitled to the parking permit as there is parking already in the building on the bottom floor. The issue is we asked for one of these spaces but were told they have been sold privately.

Now I'm forced to park away from the city as we have already been clamped and fined which is a bit stressful.

The building was build before 2004 I believe if that makes any difference for us.

According to the person in the city hall, by law I should be entitled to the parking space on the bottom floor of the apartment complex. The landlord doesn't seem to think so. Who is right here?

I don't want to be fined again or park away from the city, do you guys know my entitlements here?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

The Cork city web-site - corkcity.ie - is poor at the best of times, but now they've hidden the forms and guidelines you need.

Looks to me like your apt should have been let as a 'no parking facilities' apt. The Landlord is being cute by renting the space separately - I wonder does this go against terms of the planning permission and Freehold? Might be worth asking the Council.

Basically, the space 'should' be for the residents of the apt, but whether the council can (or will) do anything is another matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This isn't on Union Quay, is it? I remember viewing an apartment there and the greedy landlords rent out all the spaces to non-residents. She advised us just to use constant parking disks :eek:.

It was one of many, many reasons we didn't rent there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

corkweb wrote: »
    Hi all

I moved into an apartment in Cork city a couple of months ago and have since got a car. I started looking into getting the parking permit in the last couple of weeks. I have been told I'm not entitled to the parking permit as there is parking already in the building on the bottom floor. The issue is we asked for one of these spaces but were told they have been sold privately.

Now I'm forced to park away from the city as we have already been clamped and fined which is a bit stressful.

The building was build before 2004 I believe if that makes any difference for us.

According to the person in the city hall, by law I should be entitled to the parking space on the bottom floor of the apartment complex. The landlord doesn't seem to think so. Who is right here?

I don't want to be fined again or park away from the city, do you guys know my entitlements here?

Thanks for any help.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/residentparkingpermits/
    Any resident in a purpose built apartment block where there was no off street parking provided as part of the development and where the development of the complex was completed before March 2004 will continue to be eligible for a residents parking permit.

Seems you are not entitled to a parking space.
    But I would tell the landlord, the city hall advised you to apply for a permit anyway - if it's not been declared for tax purposes, they might try to arrange an alternative.

Advertisement