Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream job, help.

Options
  • 10-11-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for advice regarding my current situation. I want to apply for an advertised position in the DAA and one of the requirements is a list of reference and contact details for all positions held in the past five years, most of which won't be an issue.

However, I was working for a company for a few months last year and from the outset I regretted ever taking the job, there was a lot of "power play" for want of a better phrase going on between management and the majority of the staff and us new hires where looked upon as informants to management so the work environment was difficult. In addition, there where issues with rostering, last minute phone calls to come into work which is generally not a problem for me but they would know two weeks in advance that one of the senior staff would be off and would not roster us new guys accordingly which usually meant last minute cancelling of plans on my off days etc, in addition I went and spoke to my boss regarding a confidential matter on the basis that our conversation was private only to find out my boss went into our locker rooms and spoke about it openly in front of a number of people. I wasn't happy and felt like I had been played off. I handed in my notice a few days later, my boss wasn't happy and questioned my commitment etc. The company in question have a huge turnover rate of new staff 6 of us hired and 5 had left within 4 months for the same reasons. If I didn't leave I would have lost my sanity.

I don't want to use this employer as a referee because I think out of spite they will refuse to provide one , but I don't want to be dishonest either. I have been involved in a voluntary role since 2012 as well as keeping a "day" job and was wondering if it would be acceptable to provide a reference from my volunteer role instead of mentioning the job on my application. Getting a position with the DAA is definitely a step towards my dream job and I don't want to jeopardise my chances and not pass the background checks.

Any help appeciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

List it anyway - with a note explaining some of the above.

If the role is in any way security related, then you need to be 100% with the truth. It's unlikely that the company will 100% lie (ie say you didn't work there), especially as you will have payslips to prove you did. And even if they bad mouth you, they are unlikely to be given much weight if you have other good references.

Advertisement