Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Priority list

Options
  • 10-11-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently out of date since start of month on my nct but have contacted the ncts. They have put me on a priority list but have said it could take up to 4 weeks to get a date.. now if im pulled over in the mean time can i state that to the gardai or what.

any info is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

CorkyLFC wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm currently out of date since start of month on my nct but have contacted the ncts. They have put me on a priority list but have said it could take up to 4 weeks to get a date.. now if im pulled over in the mean time can i state that to the gardai or what.

any info is appreciated

It would be completely at the discretion of the gardai, although I'm sure they came out with a statement saying they are no longer enforcing NCT and Tax rules due to lack of resources, so I would be very surprised.

But the general line taken is the get the NCT done before well before the due date, I'm sure most gardai would be happy with evidence that you have booked it in and have a date coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Well in most countries in the EU you will be fined instantly when caught driving without valid test, and very often your car would be towed away.

But even though in Ireland new fixed penalty fine and penalty points were introduced for lack od NCT, I hardly can see gards enforcing it on everyone.

Difference is that nearly everywhere else you can get your test straight away, while in Ireland you have to wait for weeks or months sometimes. So in many cases its impossible to fulfill legal requirement of having NCT, because system is crap.
    And thats why garda leeway is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I've been in this situation a few times: the main problem is that NCTS won't send any confirmation of your booking request until they can give you a date, so you're at the mercy of the Garda if you're stopped.

That said, it's usually quick enough to get a test on the priority list, but you'll get it at short notice. Make sure your car is ready to go for its test now as you could end up with 24 h notice of a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

CorkyLFC wrote: »
    Hi all,

any info is appreciated

for next year...you can take your test up to three months early.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CiniO wrote: »
    Well in most countries in the EU you will be fined instantly when caught driving without valid test, and very often your car would be towed away.

But even though in Ireland new fixed penalty fine and penalty points were introduced for lack od NCT, I hardly can see gards enforcing it on everyone.

Difference is that nearly everywhere else you can get your test straight away, while in Ireland you have to wait for weeks or months sometimes. So in many cases its impossible to fulfill legal requirement of having NCT, because system is crap.
    And thats why garda leeway is needed.

With a proper system in place that is the correct way of doing it with no excuses. But unfortunately this being Ireland, the system cannot meet the demand for appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just put a reminder into my google calendar 3 months before date and make an online booking. It has worked without issue for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

bazz26 wrote: »
    With a proper system in place that is the correct way of doing it with no excuses. But unfortunately this being Ireland, the system cannot meet the demand for appointments.

System should be designed to give everyone opportunity to test vehicle on the spot. Or within say 24hours of booking.
    Then there should be no excuses.

Current situation when you f.e. import a car, VRT and register it and become due NCT straight away on day of registration, but first you can even try to book a test is within few days, and most likely you won't get a test for next month or two is just ridiculous.

Advertisement