Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery periods

Options
  • 10-11-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have been running pretty consistently throughout the year running events from 5k up to HM so far. I have not had any significant goals, just taking each event as it comes, and tinkering with training plans for specific events. However, I haven't scheduled any specific rest/recovery periods. In recent weeks, I have noticed a spot of tendinitis creeping in to my lower leg/foot probably due to overuse. I have one more race upcoming and intend to take it easy for the rest of the year for recover. I plan to make a more detailed structure to my training/races next year and avoid the ad-hoc stuff.

My general Q is how do people manage their year running with regards recovery? Do you take blocks of time completely off or just reduce mileage and increase rests days/x-training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My general Q is how do people manage their year running with regards recovery? Do you take blocks of time completely off or just reduce mileage and increase rests days/x-training?

I usually take off 10-14 days after a goal race, once or twice a year.

Outside that I don't take complete rest days. I find that running ~45 minutes at a very slow recovery pace leads to faster recovery than complete rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have been running pretty consistently throughout the year running events from 5k up to HM so far. I have not had any significant goals, just taking each event as it comes, and tinkering with training plans for specific events. However, I haven't scheduled any specific rest/recovery periods. In recent weeks, I have noticed a spot of tendinitis creeping in to my lower leg/foot probably due to overuse. I have one more race upcoming and intend to take it easy for the rest of the year for recover. I plan to make a more detailed structure to my training/races next year and avoid the ad-hoc stuff.

I take a day off every week, on a Monday. I also take a week off twice a year usually at the end of the track season (August) and again before I start base building in Winter (December/January). I think a break is good for the mind as well as the body and can leave you refreshed for the next training cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Injuries force me to take recovery :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I try and take a four week period every year, when I cut my volume down to about 60%, all easy running. Sometimes that is injury enforced.

After that I start my next cycle with a base building phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Generally have 1-2 complete rest days a week as the other 5 days are very intensive. At the end of track season I take a full 6 weeks off training which is as much a mental break as a physical one, and during that time do some cycling, hiking and Swimming to keep fit. I imagine I'll probably take a week off after indoor season also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I usually rest for about 158 hours per week and only train for about 10 of them.

Advertisement