Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML to XML translator/dictionary

Options
  • 10-11-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know of any website or resource that shows a html tag, say div, and then its equivalent, ViewGroup.

A translator/dictionary type website, or any site that has that sort of information?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Tell us the problem you're trying to solve rather than asking us to second guess your intended solution.

I think I can guess what you're trying to do and if I'm right I may have a couple of suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Graham wrote: »
    Tell us the problem you're trying to solve rather than asking us to second guess your intended solution.

I think I can guess what you're trying to do and if I'm right I may have a couple of suggestions.

OK, well like say dictionary.com, ideally, I can type in "div" into a text field, click search and it will return "ViewGroup", or "background-image" and it will return "android:background" with an explanation and code examples. Is there any such site that does that or something like it?

I can google them all individually, but if they were in one spot it would be ideal. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sorry Cormee, it's not what I thought. Looks like your asking an Android specific thing so can't help you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

cormee wrote: »
    OK, well like say dictionary.com, ideally, I can type in "div" into a text field, click search and it will return "ViewGroup", or "background-image" and it will return "android:background" with an explanation and code examples. Is there any such site that does that or something like it?
    Are you seeking some form of 'translator' for converting HTML or xhtml into Android Layout XML?

Are you seeking some form of 'translator' for converting HTML or xhtml into Android Layout XML?

Not one that automatically translates the code, more of a site that lists, or is searchable, HTML tags, and their equivalent android XML tag, of any.

• Advertisement

Not one that automatically translates the code, more of a site that lists, or is searchable, HTML tags, and their equivalent android XML tag, of any.
    Not aware of any as trying to do that would be a very poor approach, TBH. Android layouts and xHTML share only superficial similarities.

Not aware of any as trying to do that would be a very poor approach, TBH. Android layouts and xHTML share only superficial similarities.

What would you see as being the issue? Most html tags, and CSS declarations have an Android XML equivalent, how would referencing a document or site that lists these be a very poor approach? I'd find it very useful! :D

What would you see as being the issue? Most html tags, and CSS declarations have an Android XML equivalent, how would referencing a document or site that lists these be a very poor approach? I'd find it very useful! :D
    Because an Android layout is not a Web page and trying to simply translate the latter to the former will leave you with at best a sub standard UI, if not a total pigs ear, just as was the case 15 years ago with WML.

Because an Android layout is not a Web page and trying to simply translate the latter to the former will leave you with at best a sub standard UI, if not a total pigs ear, just as was the case 15 years ago with WML.

You're either over-analysing what I'm asking for, or you've misunderstood my question. Anyway, thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

There isn't a website doing what you want to do, however the names are very similar, so you should be able to figure it out (or google).

There's also some unique to android pieces. e.g. you can't create a background gradient directly in the XML, you need to create a drawable and reference that in your XML. As opposed to CSS where you could create a gradient in the CSS.

Then there's the fun of different layouts, drawables and images for different screen sizes in Android.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd find a website comparing the two useful, more likely to cause confusion IMO.

Is there a specific part you're having difficulty with?

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    There isn't a website doing what you want to do, however the names are very similar, so you should be able to figure it out (or google).

There's also some unique to android pieces. e.g. you can't create a background gradient directly in the XML, you need to create a drawable and reference that in your XML. As opposed to CSS where you could create a gradient in the CSS.

Then there's the fun of different layouts, drawables and images for different screen sizes in Android.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd find a website comparing the two useful, more likely to cause confusion IMO.

Is there a specific part you're having difficulty with?

Hi Colm,

Thanks, no there isn't anything in particular I'm having issues with, I just thought if it existed it would be handy as a quick reference. At the moment I am, as you suggest, googling each one.

Anyhoo, I've started building such a site - http://www.andict.com , type "fo" into the search box to see how it would work. It's more a proof of concept at this stage and it isn't styled. I'll be adding to it as this project at work progresses. If, as I go along, I don't think the concept works I'lll abandon the project, I don't want to lead any designers astray, but for the moment I think it could be a useful tool as a starting point for anyone from a web/ui design background starting out on Android, who wants to see what a comparable html/CSS tage is in Android XML.

Any further feedback would be appreciated. If the idea, as I've executed it in the link, is crap, can you let me know, and why you think so.

Advertisement