Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate and rape jokes [spoilers]

Options
  • 10-11-2014 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi thar,

Just wanted to start a thread because Twitter is pretty active tonight following the Love/Hate finale – particularly regarding a scene where one of the (male) characters apparently gets a pool cue up the pooper.

There were a few jokes and meme type things floating about relating to it, and sure as night follows day there were a bunch of people falling over each other to be the most outraged that rape is being made light of.

What do ye reckon? Is it crossing the line to make jokes about it, or are these people just being moanie holes (oops) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Non issue. People are getting too outraged over everything xoxox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Dave! wrote: »
    Hi thar,

Just wanted to start a thread because Twitter is pretty active tonight following the Love/Hate finale – particularly regarding a scene where one of the (male) characters apparently gets a pool cue up the pooper.

There were a few jokes and meme type things floating about relating to it, and sure as night follows day there were a bunch of people falling over each other to be the most outraged that rape is being made light of.

What do ye reckon? Is it crossing the line to make jokes about it, or are these people just being moanie holes (oops) ?

The character in question was a complete and utter f*cking psychopath. Rightly or wrongly, it's hard to have empathy for people like that, whether in real life or if they are a fictitious character on tv. Earlier on in the show, an innocent character was raped and nobody made any crass jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

I think you'll find people get outraged at rape jokes. This is a good thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The narrow end or the wide end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is hard to have sympathy for the person who got this treatment. It is a serious crime and very damaging, especially if one finds themselves in a position they can't get out of and are basically snookered.
    Cue to the scene where he is lying there after the attack, it was a very brutal assault amd serves to show people that a life in crime is not something glamorous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

kneemos wrote: »

Sideways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is hard to have sympathy for the person who got this treatment. It is a serious crime and very damaging, especially if one finds themselves in a position they can't get out of and are basically snookered.
    Cue to the scene where he is lying there after the attack, it was a very brutal assault amd serves to show people that a life in crime is not something glamorous.

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

kneemos wrote: »

Neither, the jagged broken bit in the middle

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Neither, the jagged broken bit in the middle

Oh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Saw the thread title and thought this was a place where we could pool our funnies. I got the wrong end of the stick, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Double standards. If a female character was violated like that, even if she was a psycho, jokes like posted here on boards would be met with revulsion and in some cases bans. Violent rape like that should be treated the same whether or not the victim is male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,476 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Rock as been doing these jokes for 15 years and it's catchphrase.

No seems to have an issue with him doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I watched it last night and making jokes about it was the last thing on my mind. The character is a nutjob yes but that didn't make it an easier to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think we should chalk this up to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Did he get to pot the brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Did he get to pot the brown?

Ah yeah, much the same way that the Ra fella potted the pink when he raped Siobhan in season three. Because rape is hilarious isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Ah yeah, much the same way that the Ra fella potted the pink when he raped Siobhan in season three. Because rape is hilarious isn't it?

Firstly, nobody is saying rape is hilarious, but a joke referencing it can be. The joke is hilarious, not the act. I say this, not about rape specifically, but about any subject. No matter what joke you make, someone, somewhere, somehow, will find it offensive. How then do we say that one person's offence is more valid than another's. Once we start saying that this is ok but this isnt you open yourself up to being accused of bias in one way or another. The only way to be fair is to say it's all ok or none of it is. As long as jokes arent being aimed at a particular person with the intention of humiliating them then you have to say, whether you like it or not, that it's fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Firstly, nobody is saying rape is hilarious, but a joke referencing it can be. The joke is hilarious, not the act. I say this, not about rape specifically, but about any subject. No matter what joke you make, someone, somewhere, somehow, will find it offensive. How then do we say that one person's offence is more valid than another's. Once we start saying that this is ok but this isnt you open yourself up to being accused of bias in one way or another. The only way to be fair is to say it's all ok or none of it is. As long as jokes arent being aimed at a particular person with the intention of humiliating them then you have to say, whether you like it or not, that it's fair game.

OK, then none of it is. There's a long standing acceptance here that rape jokes are not cool,not OK.

Jezus we should invite some of the posters from the mysogony thread over here, they'd I suspect be genuinely shocked (or maybe not) and how much more readily jokes about male rape are dismissed in AH

Jesus lads will ye give us a chance to actually read your reported posts. It's Monday morning. We're getting ready for work (the one that actually pays us) for goodness sake.

It's always a handful of people who drag the entire forum down, mostly I expect it of some posters, but occasionally I'm surprised (and disappointed) by those who I thought would have more sense.

Rape jokes are not OK here, there is no situation whatsoever when they will ever be OK in AH. End of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement