Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAIU: Cork Canopy Collapse Report

Options
  • 10-11-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

Link here

The immediate cause was obviously the extreme weather but, as seems typical for these investigations, the RAIU found that Iarnrod Eireann hadn't conducted any structural inspections on the canopy and that its record keeping was poor.
    Underlying Causes (UCs) associated with the accident are as follows:
     UC-01 – IÉ CCE did not have a weather management protocol in place which included actions to be taken to protect structures at risk from adverse weather conditions.

The following Additional Observation (AO), not relating to the cause of the accident, was made during the investigation:
     AO-01 –The canopy had not received an inspection that met the structural requirements of IÉ standards I-FBD-8100, CCE-SMS-001 or the superseded standard I-STR-6510. In addition to this a number of the Annual Inspections undertaken did not contain the required signatures

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm surprised that so little significance was attributed to the fact that there was only a single line of columns. Even with the bend, it meant the roof didn't have any vertical bracing. Admittedly bracing would be difficult to install on an operational railway platform, but it could certainly have been installed at the far end, the bend (where the buffers are) and possibly some other locations. These wouldn't have interfered with door access. It could have made all the difference.

Advertisement