Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licence out of date?

Options
  • 09-11-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi guys
    just wondering if anyone can help.my mother has a provisional licence but the last time she was renenwing it the lady in the office made a mistake and renewed it for 10 years! my mother said nothing which I know she should have !! her licence is now out of date by 4 year and her insurance company wont insure her anymore, she is so worried. will she have to do her theory test now again and all the lesssons??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So unfair. You'd think they'd just give her a full licence now and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

she certainly should do the test and if that means the theory and the lessons , so much the better. If , after all these years, that is a problem to her, maybe she should stay off the road. harsh, but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Surely she must have thought it was up after looking at L plates on the car for the last 16 years...and watching the qualified driver age (probably die) beside her.

Seriously, yes she will have to go by the new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Back to square one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what's that smell? it's coming from under that bridge.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

So just to confirm, the provisional license was issued 14 years ago.. If that is the case she will have to start from scratch I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Shivivryan wrote: »
    ... her licence is now out of date by 4 year and her insurance company wont insure her anymore,..

If she was paying a premium for the last four years she was wasting her money because she would not have been covered. It is a requirement of insurance that the driver has a valid licencse, either full or provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Wheelnut wrote: »
    If she was paying a premium for the last four years she was wasting her money because she would not have been covered. It is a requirement of insurance that the driver has a valid licencse, either full or provisional.

The insurance company would have to have paid out on any third party claims regardless, but may have gone after the policy holder to recover losses.

OP, Your mother should have said something, but obviously the rules have never applied to her. However, if the license learner permit has expired 4 years, it is possible she can get it renewed if she applies for the test and gets her 12 lessons under her belt in the mean time. I think the license has to be expired 5 years before a theory test is required again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So just to confirm, the provisional license was issued 14 years ago.. If that is the case she will have to start from scratch I guess

I think she got it 6 years ago. Which will still put her back to the start when she goes for her new permit.

Then since she has had a policy refused so she'll be looking at phone number quotes, if she can get another quote, when she gets a new learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

What is she worried about? The fact that she was prepare to take a chance on somebody else's mistake, in the first place, is a poor indication?

At the end of the day, if she is an experienced, safe and comfortable driver - she should have no fear of the test. If she is not - then it is better for us all that she is off the road . . .

I drive an awful lot and when I see the capers unsure, hesitant drivers get up to on the road - I am more and more convinced that they are just as dangerous as those at the other end of the scale!

• Advertisement
Advertisement