Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Necessary to Achieve 500+ (5th Year Student)?

Options
  • 09-11-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    As you can probably see I am new to these forums, I am currently in my 2nd term of 5th, the subjects I have picked are Biology, Business, French and Geography (And I am doing the mandatory trio in English, Irish and Maths). Being honest I am of above average intelligence and can memorise fairly well.

I am aspiring to get at least 500 points for my leaving cert June 2016. Out of the subjects I am doing the only ordinary level subject is Maths. I want to do Commerce in UCD and it is my 1 and only choice (I'd rather repeat 6th year to get necessary marks than settle for an inferior course elsewhere).

I am fluent in French so providing I do not get complacent with it I assume I will get an A1. As I am not counting Ordinary Maths as one of my subjects that means I need an average of a B2 (80 marks) in the rest of my subjects.

In hindsight had I known what I know now I wouldn't have chosen all the subjects I did, as Biology, Geography and Business all have a lot of information to be retained. I am average at subjects like Irish but I am going to Colaiste Lurgan to try get at minimum a C1.

How much work am I required to put in, in 5th year to achieve this? Many have told me to try learn majority of the course in 5th year to leave 6th year for revision.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I want to do Commerce in UCD and it is my 1 and only choice…
    It seems to me you are severely limiting your options. Unnecessarily so.

There must be another course somewhere that you would consider doing?
    How much work am I required to put in, in 5th year to achieve this?
    I don’t really understand the question to be honest. How long is a piece of string?

You are the only person who can know how much work you need to do to get good grades. You will most likely start going through past exam papers in class towards the end of this year or the beginning of sixth year. Past papers act as a pretty good barometer for exam performance. If you can answer any/most of the questions in a book of past papers, then you’ll be fine.

Advertisement