Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp change in working hours

Options
  • 09-11-2014 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just looking for advise or links that tell me how temporary a working hours reduction can be?.
    As a bit of background my brothers working hows were reduced from 5 days a week to 3, which was clearly stated in a letter that this was a temp measure but didnt give a duration. This was 18 months ago, he works offsite and cant get a clear response from the company other then to say it is reviewed monthly but has had no updates in 1 year.
    I cant find any definition of "temporary" in terms of duration on any government website.
    So my question is as follows if anyone can help.

Is there a set time limit a company can keep a permanant employee on reduced hours given they stated it was a temp measure?
    Thanks in advance.
    Richie

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was there an end date started in the letter? Also, what does his contact say his hours/days of work are? If his contact still says he's on 5 days a week then I imagine he can go back to five days whenever he wants as he is voluntarily reducing his hours below his contact. I might be wrong though. The fact that it has been 18 months might complicate things as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Airsofty1

Was there an end date started in the letter? Also, what does his contact say his hours/days of work are? If his contact still says he's on 5 days a week then I imagine he can go back to five days whenever he wants as he is voluntarily reducing his hours below his contact. I might be wrong though. The fact that it has been 18 months might complicate things as well though.

Thanks for the reply, No dates were put on the letter other then the date it took effect, & stated it was a temp situation to reduce costs for the company, his contract relects a "Normal Working week" and the letter stated he did 37 hrs per week, which was to be reduced to 20 hours per week.

I know for it to be considered a Short-Time situation it has to be either 50% reduction of your wages or working hours.

I heard on the grape vine before that it was a max of 18 months or 1 & half years as the social welfare have to pick up to the shortfall of the remaining hours. But aint been able to confirm it up to now.

Rgds
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Advertisement