Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to prepare for a half marathon?

Options
  • 09-11-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I'm assuming I'll be out of action from running until around Christmas because of injury but bike work and swimming lessons should keep me at a decent level of fitness. I can currently run 10k at a struggle because of injury, I was comfortably hitting 12k over the summer.

I'm getting good advice from people on general training plans on my log but I was just wondering about what HM I should target.

Let's say I start running again in January, I can do 3 days a week plus one days swimming, is May a realistic time frame for getting fit for a HM or would I be better off wait until June or even later?

Finishing would be the first priority, 2:15 or so would be my idea of time so as not to put myself under too much pressure.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is it a running injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Yep, recurring ankle and calf problems, I'm seeing the Physio on Thursday and expect to he seeing her quite a few times.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you have running induced injury then how long it will take to get half mara ready is hard to predict. But given youre having problems I wouldn't rush anything. It is totally possible for 'someone' to train up in 5 months, but its dependant on staying injury free. If I were you I would be asking your physio for strength and stability exercises you can do now so when you do start running again you are less likely to injure.

I"m going to have a good chat with the physio and follow her instructions. I'll not take any silly risks, I was basing this on if I were fully recovered by the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

I would take a longer term approach to it. Wait till you can comfortably do a half marathon in training then you'll be more than ready. Can be tempting to raise the mileage too quickly with a race in mind.

• Advertisement

I think that was my problem this year, I'll be keeping that in mind next year and making sure I build up slowly.

Advertisement