Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting

Options
  • 09-11-2014 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

I'm new here and found it difficult to find a section/ forum in which to post about Fox hunting. Certainly nothing in the sporting section.

I'm a country man, my family were originally farmer/landowners and I grew up with country ways and attitudes. I understand that sometimes there is a need to "control" foxes. It is just the "hunt" I have a problem with and especially today.

I live in a residential area on the edge of a small town in Kildare. In this area there is a small industrial estate and GAA club, off a residential road. The road is marked at both ends with "Local traffic only" signs.

Today saw the "horsey crowd" move in and take over the road, ind estate and Gaa car park. Nothing I can say about private property, but I was incensed to see horse trucks, jeeps with horse boxes and private cars, come in and park four wheels on the public foot path blocking it.

Horse boxes left unattended were secured to ESB poles by running chains across the footpath and padlocking them.

Some boxes left their side doors open swinging in the wind and hitting off garden walls.

Along with this behaviour were horses using sections of the footpath and road as a toilet. Some younger riders (children really) at times and where they could, use the footpath to ride their horses.

My drive way was not completely blocked, but partially so, that it was impossible to get a car through.

Stewards on off road unlicensed, and as such uninsured, ATV's thought it ok to use a public road, carrying at one time 4 people with no helmets.

There was no way a child's buggy could travel this path. One would have to push the buggy out on to the road through horse sh*t, avoiding many horses other traffic.

The selfish attitude of these people shows why they have no problem destroying an animal in they way they do and then call it a sport.

Does anyone know how to go about complaining to the authorities?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do you know which hunt it was? Why don't you complain to them and I am sure they will try to avoid inconveniencing you where possible in future.

Btw, you might get more responses in the equestrian forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Boater123 wrote: »
    I live in a residential area on the edge of a small town in Kildare. In this area there is a small industrial estate and GAA club, off a residential road. The road is marked at both ends with "Local traffic only" signs.

Today saw the "horsey crowd" move in and take over the road, ind estate and Gaa car park. Nothing I can say about private property, but I was incensed to see horse trucks, jeeps with horse boxes and private cars, come in and park four wheels on the public foot path blocking it.
    I am pretty sure they would have had permission to park in gaa club car park, they do this regularly, same with industrial estate which you would imagine would be deserted on a sunday.
    Horse boxes left unattended were secured to ESB poles by running chains across the footpath and padlocking them.
    what exactly is wrong with that? people with bikes do similar all the time.
    Some boxes left their side doors open swinging in the wind and hitting off garden walls.
    probably an error, the doors are light, and wouldnt do much harm.
    Along with this behaviour were horses using sections of the footpath and road as a toilet. Some younger riders (children really) at times and where they could, use the footpath to ride their horses.
    I am not aware of any law forbidding horses from going on footpaths? Were there many pedestrians around?
    My drive way was not completely blocked, but partially so, that it was impossible to get a car through.
    Now here you have a genuine complaint. Very annoying. Did you see the owner of the box to ask them to move?
    Stewards on off road unlicensed, and as such uninsured, ATV's thought it ok to use a public road, carrying at one time 4 people with no helmets.
    Is it a legal requirement to wear a helmet on an ATV? I honestly dont know.
    There was no way a child's buggy could travel this path. One would have to push the buggy out on to the road through horse sh*t, avoiding many horses other traffic.
    path should not have been blocked. Being a country boy yourself I am sure you will agree that horse poo is harmless.
    The selfish attitude of these people shows why they have no problem destroying an animal in they way they do and then call it a sport.

Does anyone know how to go about complaining to the authorities?

which authorities? you only have one or two genuine complaints as far as I can see. The best course to take is always to ask people to move if they are blocking you or causing inconvenience, next recourse would be to call the gardai I guess.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry OP, this isn't the forum for this. Maybe try Hunting or Equestrian or even the relevant regional forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement