Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food talk

Options
  • 09-11-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

When an average cow/pig/ chicken/ turkey etc ils slauthered how many people animals end up eating the body parts?

For exemple a bullock you have so many parts it must be quiet alot when your eating a steak how many other people are eating the other parts ?

Another ex for the back of the class. When a cow is cut up how many people will it feed on average ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My hangover must be really bad cos I cant make any sense out of that OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

For exemple a bollock

Bollocks are a bit chewy in my opinion, would want some balls to eat one, on the plus side you always get two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

kfallon wrote: »
    My hangover must be really bad cos I cant make any sense out of that OP

I don't have a hangover, and I can't make head nor tail of it either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The answer is more than you think, but less than you might imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmmm.

That being said, if I decipher the question in the op correctly, the answer is 12.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The average Quarter Pounder contains the ears of 7.4 cats.

Or is it ducks feet? Something like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a virtual loaves and fish's scenario I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I need some fizzy good make feel nice after reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

One steer will feed a family of 5 for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

kneemos wrote: »
    It's a virtual loaves and fish's scenario I'd say.

Not at all averages are just that. L & F was an unrealistic event

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

OP, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

One steer will feed a family of 5 for a year.

OK but on average how many différent people will eat the processed steer. Eg. Steer is processed, one person buys one burger another buys steak etc. How many different individuals on average consume the meat from an average cow/steer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

OK but on average how many différent people will eat the processed steer. Eg. Steer is processed, one person buys one burger another buys steak etc. How many different individuals on average consume the meat from an average cow/steer etc[/quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OK but on average how many différent people will eat the processed steer. Eg. Steer is processed, one person buys one burger another buys steak etc. How many different individuals on average consume the meat from an average cow/steer etc[/quote.

Its actually 58009.

Its actually 58009.

Is that you Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is that you Jesus?

Yes and its my birthday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Very little goes to waste bar the heads,lungs and bones afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

When an average cow/pig/ chicken/ turkey etc ils slauthered how many people animals end up eating the body parts?

For exemple a bullock you have so many parts it must be quiet alot when your eating a steak how many other people are eating the other parts ?

Another ex for the back of the class. When a cow is cut up how many people will it feed on average ?

It's quite hard to find good statistics on how many animals a person eats per year because most people think of animals in terms of weight, not number of lives.

However there are 150billion land and marine animals slaughtered per year for food which is thought to be a conservative estimate and includes 50 billion land animals.

Take a look at this kill counter (it starts from when you open the page). It's too hard for most people to get their heads around figures like that though. Some people think activism that uses statistics like this is ineffective because the numbers are just too big for our brains to understand.

I've seen estimates of 200 animals saved per year by being vegan, I've seen other claims which say vegetarians save over 400 animals a year, then it would be higher for vegans. That's only taking into account animals killed for food of course. The 200 figure was based on about a tenth of a cow a year and half a pig a year, obviously you will eat a lot more fish and chickens than larger animals a year. Doesn't excuse the fact that you're contributing to 150 BILLION animals being slaughtered a year. There's 7 billion people in the world, imagine if 20 times the world's population of people were being slaughtered every year for something so frivolous as our taste buds and we were happy to go along with it, puts it in perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

kneemos wrote: »
    Very little goes to waste bar the heads,lungs and bones afaik.

haggis contains lung, and you can extract the marrow from the bones, then grind them up to make a kind of flour from which bread can be made.

It's not a cow, but you can and people do cook Sheeps heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

--LOS-- wrote: »
    It's quite hard to find good statistics on how many animals a person eats per year because most people think of animals in terms of weight, not number of lives.

However there are 150billion land and marine animals slaughtered per year for food which is thought to be a conservative estimate and includes 50 billion land animals.

Take a look at this kill counter (it starts from when you open the page). It's too hard for most people to get their heads around figures like that though. Some people think activism that uses statistics like this is ineffective because the numbers are just too big for our brains to understand.

I've seen estimates of 200 animals saved per year by being vegan, I've seen other claims which say vegetarians save over 400 animals a year, then it would be higher for vegans. That's only taking into account animals killed for food of course. The 200 figure was based on about a tenth of a cow a year and half a pig a year, obviously you will eat a lot more fish and chickens than larger animals a year. Doesn't excuse the fact that you're contributing to 150 BILLION animals being slaughtered a year. There's 7 billion people in the world, imagine if 20 times the world's population of people were being slaughtered every year for something so frivolous as our taste buds and we were happy to go along with it, puts it in perspective.
    Agenda much

Meat is fúcking delicious, and your propaganda is not going to change that.

Only this evening I watched my six month old son eating his first chunk of stewed beef, I slow cooked it for 8 hours with carrots, onions, herbs, gravy and when he was finished he banged the table of his high chair for more.

I was so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

--LOS-- wrote: »

Get back to your nut roast, veggie boy. Meat is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OK. One steer provides between 1600 and 1800 meals for human consumption. The remainder is difficult to quantify as percentage by volume in animal feed varies considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I had roast beef and Camembert toasties today. Sounds rank, but they were pretty nom-nom as it happens...

Advertisement