Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon 1.4 tsi 122 BHP

Options
  • 09-11-2014 3:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

what are peoples opinions on the Seat Leon 1.4 tsi 122 BHP.
    2009/2010 model with manual transmission.

Im sick of spending money on cars and finding out about "known issues" afterwards - my own fault really.

So, any "known issues" with this engine, car, alloys, hand brake etc etc etc

Or anyone have any comments on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think timing chain stretching can effect those TSi engines.

If your going for a Leon of that vintage try and get the facelifted model, massive improvements made to the interior.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think timing chain stretching can effect those TSi engines.

If your going for a Leon of that vintage try and get the facelifted model, massive improvements made to the interior.

are you sure that was on the 122 bhp engines ?

I dont really care about interior, ive seen what it looks like so know the story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I think those engines have issues with spark plugs. They can't handle the engine temperature and disintegrate into the cylinder head.

Also could have chain issues.

TBi wrote: »
    I think those engines have issues with spark plugs. They can't handle the engine temperature and disintegrate into the cylinder head.

Thanks.

ah ****e. I thought these 1.4 tsi's with 122 bhp were ok for reliability.

does this also apply to the 2009 /10 Audi a3 1.4 tFsi with 122 bhp ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

TBi wrote: »

Never heard of the spark plug issue it sounds a bit far fetched tbh. The timing chain stretch is a worry a lot of it is down to regular servicing. A full complete service history is a must with these engines. Most of the problems occurred on engines on variable service intervals where the engine could run for two years between services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks.

ah ****e. I thought these 1.4 tsi's with 122 bhp were ok for reliability.

does this also apply to the 2009 /10 Audi a3 1.4 tFsi with 122 bhp ?

That engine is used across the entire VAG brands.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That engine is used across the entire VAG brands.

but VW, Skoda and Seat are T S I

The Audi is the T F S I

are they same engine

I'm driving a 09 1.4 TSI 122 bhp Octavia since February and haven't had one ounce of bother with it. It's an Irish car with a full service history and one owner. If the seat you're looking at has a good service history you should be ok. I don't know anything about the tFSI engine in the Audi.

jca wrote: »
    I'm driving a 09 1.4 TSI 122 bhp Octavia since February and haven't had one ounce of bother with it. It's an Irish car with a full service history and one owner. If the seat you're looking at has a good service history you should be ok. I don't know anything about the tFSI engine in the Audi.

Thanks. Good to hear some real world experience. and that you haven't had any issues. is she slow ?

Thanks. Good to hear some real world experience. and that you haven't had any issues. is she slow ?

No surely not slow. I was a bit nervous as I was going from a 1.9 TDI to this car and I'm delighted with it. It's surprisingly economical too, 38 mpg from a tank of all town driving. On a long journey well over 42 mpg is easily achievable. I went from Wexford to Tralee with two days doing the Conor pass etc, when I filled again mpg was 47.4. Mine is a 7 speed dsg. A lovely car. So much smoother and refined compared to the diesel.

• Advertisement

No surely not slow. I was a bit nervous as I was going from a 1.9 TDI to this car and I'm delighted with it. It's surprisingly economical too, 38 mpg from a tank of all town driving. On a long journey well over 42 mpg is easily achievable. I went from Wexford to Tralee with two days doing the Conor pass etc, when I filled again mpg was 47.4. Mine is a 7 speed dsg. A lovely car. So much smoother and refined compared to the diesel.

excellent reply ! Thanks.

That town driving figure is excellent........ is that stop start, loads of traffic lights every 2 minutes kinda town driving or less harsh than this ?

How is the low end torque ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Don't think there's any known (serious) problems with the 122 bhp 1.4 TSI. It's the twincharger engines (the ones with the turbo and supercharger) that have issues with the timing chain stretching, along with other problems like turbo failure etc. The 170 bhp version in particular is very unreliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Doubt you'd be getting much low end torque in it but I haven't driven one so I could be wrong.

38mpg in all town driving and only 4 better on the Motorway is a bit unusual though. Unless you were hammering it I'd expect a bit more tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Motorway driving for my 1.4 tsi Passat is 5.5l /100km according to the obc. Stick the cruise control on about 110kmph.

excellent reply ! Thanks.

That town driving figure is excellent........ is that stop start, loads of traffic lights every 2 minutes kinda town driving or less harsh than this ?

How is the low end torque ?

Maybe a little less harsh than that but not much. Low end torque is impressive for a 1.4 petrol engine. A work colleague has the old 1.4 petrol Octavia which is a horrible thirsty underpowered slug in comparison. The dsg box regularly reaches 7 gear around town without a grumble from the engine.

Maybe a little less harsh than that but not much. Low end torque is impressive for a 1.4 petrol engine. A work colleague has the old 1.4 petrol Octavia which is a horrible thirsty underpowered slug in comparison. The dsg box regularly reaches 7 gear around town without a grumble from the engine.

yeah ive heard that these 1.4 tsi engines have decent low end torque......... but nothing beats asking a person that actually owns one.

I'd say there are feck all of them octavias about. 1.4 tsi engine and dsg.

anyways good to hear that you had a good experience with the 1.4 tsi engine

None on carzone the last time I checked. The guy who looks after my car is a mechanic in the local skoda dealer he told me it had been taken in as a trade in on a new one. The guy got another 1.4 ti dsg which was a good sign. Mine was a special order jobby from Mylie Carrols in Aughrim. My luck was in for a change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Jesus. wrote: »
    Doubt you'd be getting much low end torque in it but I haven't driven one so I could be wrong.

38mpg in all town driving and only 4 better on the Motorway is a bit unusual though. Unless you were hammering it I'd expect a bit more tbh.

Maximum torque is delivered at about 1300 rpm. But you don't need torque if you know how to use a gearbox anyway....

Torque is what its all about, Captain. Make no mistake

On the motorway run I got the 47. Plenty of low end torque but sure what would I know I only drive one. You try your best to help someone with real world figures and there's always someone to contradict you.

• Advertisement

On the motorway run I got the 47. Plenty of low end torque but sure what would I know I only drive one. You try your best to help someone with real world figures and there's always someone to contradict you.

well said jca

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Had a 1.4 tsi Passat -08 model.Engine was excellent and ran like a train.An underrated engine-would recommend definitely.

ran like a train.

Never thought I'd hear that about a 1.4 in a car the size of a Passat

Never thought I'd hear that about a 1.4 in a car the size of a Passat

Take one for a drive rather than coming on here making assumptions that because it's 1.4 it has to bad. People who actually have one of these engines in their car are happy with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Hi,

what are peoples opinions on the Seat Leon 1.4 tsi 122 BHP.
    2009/2010 model with manual transmission.

Im sick of spending money on cars and finding out about "known issues" afterwards - my own fault really.

So, any "known issues" with this engine, car, alloys, hand brake etc etc etc

Or anyone have any comments on it ?

Any chance of a list of these cars so we can benefit from your misfortune, errm experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Have the 1.4Tsi in a Passat. Lovely refined (so much more so than any diesel) engine, plenty of go when asked, much better than the 1.6 it replaced. 2011 and zero issues. I get 6.9l/100km mixed driving. Anyone who moans about them have never driven one. I'd have no hesitation in recommending one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Had the 140bhp tsi in a golf twin charged. Constant problems, finally got rid after 18 months of constant niggling problems when the timing chain stretched. gearbox problems and the catalytic converter had to be replaced. The engine warning light just never stopped coming on.

Had the 140bhp tsi in a golf twin charged. Constant problems, finally got rid after 18 months of constant niggling problems when the timing chain stretched. gearbox problems and the catalytic converter had to be replaced. The engine warning light just never stopped coming on.

But this is the thing, I think this 1.4 tsi engine comes in 122, 140, 160 and 170 BHP and from what I hear the only one without major problems is the 122 BHP one.

Have the 1.4Tsi in a Passat. Lovely refined (so much more so than any diesel) engine, plenty of go when asked, much better than the 1.6 it replaced. 2011 and zero issues. I get 6.9l/100km mixed driving. Anyone who moans about them have never driven one. I'd have no hesitation in recommending one.

hey thanks, is this the 122 bhp version you have ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That engine really suits that car. It punches well above its weight. On the hunt for a one at the moment myself. Just keep the wheels to the standard 16s - any bigger and it's just too crashy. Whoever set up the chassis thought sporty = back breaking.

Advertisement