Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Trafic limp mode

Options
  • 09-11-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a 08 115dci 2litre Renault Trafic. Just passed the doe yesterday . I changed the air, fuel and pollen filter the other day.

Since the doe test yesterday it keeps going into limp.mode and won't rev above 2500 revs. If I turn the van off and back on the power is fully restored. This has happed a few times since yesterday afternoon.

Anyone ideas on what I should check before I go to the mechanic in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Egr valve, crank position sensor or maf, generally. They also like fraying their wires where they enter the ecu housing which can lead to all sorts of oddness and is dull to fix as the ecu is in a metal cage with security fasteners that can be a pita to remove. But do the egr first..Have you read the stored fault codes yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Egr valve, crank position sensor or maf, generally. They also like fraying their wires where they enter the ecu housing which can lead to all sorts of oddness and is dull to fix as the ecu is in a metal cage with security fasteners that can be a pita to remove. But do the egr first..Have you read the stored fault codes yet?

No unfortunately I don't have a code reader. Where would the maf and egr valve be in them to have a look?

Would there be a reason why the van returns to fill power when I pull in turn it off and back on?

No unfortunately I don't have a code reader. Where would the maf and egr valve be in them to have a look?

Would there be a reason why the van returns to fill power when I pull in turn it off and back on?

Not being smart at all, but if you're not sure of that, bang it in to a mechanic and let them sort it. That might be the way to go.

Not being smart at all, but if you're not sure of that, bang it in to a mechanic and let them sort it. That might be the way to go.

Ya I'll head to my mechanic in the morning. He will read any errors on the code reader

Ok I had the mechanic connect it to his diagnostic kit and its throwing up a turbo error. He thinks it's probably a turbo sensor since the error goes away when I restart the van. He disconnected a sensor just beside the air filter box but he thinks there is another sensor that is causing the problem and said he will find out where the sensor is. Does that sound like it could be the issue?

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Turbo pressure sensor is to the left and attached to the metal bars across the top of the Engine. The pressure regulating solenoid is on the right wheel arch.

More likely the regulator. If boost goes too high it will cut power

Have you seen this problem before corkgsxr?

Have you seen this problem before corkgsxr?

It can happen them. I was trying to figure how to rule it out on my last.

If your buying parts buy them off opel. There a large chunk cheaper than Renault

But I'd advise proper diagnostics. Parts aren't that cheap. You could be chasing your tail.

What fixed it for you? Oh ya why are the so much cheaper off opel? Would it explain a bit of white smoke when I start the van first thing in the morning? It started doing that two weeks ago but goes away after a few mins of driving. I have been using diptine since last week to try help it.

• Advertisement

What fixed it for you? Oh ya why are the so much cheaper off opel? Would it explain a bit of white smoke when I start the van first thing in the morning? It started doing that two weeks ago but goes away after a few mins of driving. I have been using diptine since last week to try help it.

Nope a snapped rod fixed it for me. Bought a new one.

No that wouldn't match up.

Donno there all Renault boxes. Renault are dearest, Nissan abit cheaper. Opel cheapest.

Aye I was thinking it wouldnt match up alright. Feck it anyhow it just passed the DOE on saturday and all. Has never givin me any bother up till this happened

Still havent resolved this. Mechanic changed to boost solinoid from another van and it drove ok for him then it went into limp mode again. He has cleaned the air flow meter and the egr and he drove it around and said it seemed to be ok.

I got the van back today and drove it around and it went into limp mode again :-( I rang him to let him know and he said I would be better going to the main dealer that he has no doner van to swap parts out of to try and he doesnt want to start putting in a load of parts that would cost and still not fix the problem.

Anyone any other ideas on this? I need the van fixed ASAP as I travel the country fitting out shops etc.

Still havent resolved this. Mechanic changed to boost solinoid from another van and it drove ok for him then it went into limp mode again. He has cleaned the air flow meter and the egr and he drove it around and said it seemed to be ok.

I got the van back today and drove it around and it went into limp mode again :-( I rang him to let him know and he said I would be better going to the main dealer that he has no doner van to swap parts out of to try and he doesnt want to start putting in a load of parts that would cost and still not fix the problem.

Anyone any other ideas on this? I need the van fixed ASAP as I travel the country fitting out shops etc.

Cleaning the egr and maf won't do much if they are buggered. They need to be replaced. TBH, with issues like this, a main dealer is your best and usually long-term cheapest bet. You can flouter around swapping bits and bobs and get nowhere.

Bang it into a main dealer and see what they say. They look at them all day every day and are usually good on commercials as fleet users won't accept long down-time and messing.

We fix our Transits ourselves, but the iveco or renaults go to the dealers. It's just less hassle.

The main dealer wants €70 plus VAT per hour to do work on it :-( I'll end up with a bill for a few hundred labour before any parts off them :-(

The main dealer wants €70 plus VAT per hour to do work on it :-( I'll end up with a bill for a few hundred labour before any parts off them :-(

Yup, and an Indy will charge 45-50/hr and flouter, poke, guess, misdiagnose and generally tool around at it for ages..and it'll still be broken. Not to mention the parts bill. This has been my general experience. I thought you needed the van fixed for work? How much is it earning you broken? :confused:

Ya I need the van for work but I'm not full of money to afford a few hundred in one hit. Thats my dilemma. Would a dealer charge for parts put in and not fix the problem or what would be story there? If they only charge for the labour and that actual part that I could swallow that but not part after part and have to pay for all of them.

Ya I need the van for work but I'm not full of money to afford a few hundred in one hit. Thats my dilemma. Would a dealer charge for parts put in and not fix the problem or what would be story there? If they only charge for the labour and that actual part that I could swallow that but not part after part and have to pay for all of them.

Being utterly straight, I've almost always found the main dealer to be cheaper overall as they have usually seen the same problem 100 times and fix it faster and with just what's needed.
    As an example, we had an immobiliser issue with one of our transits - it went to an Indy who spent hours fluting at the fuses, earths, reckoned we needed a new ecu, etc etc. I got bored and towed it to the Ford dealer, who cut and coded new keys, charged me €120 and I was on my way.

As with everything, that's just my opinion and you will hear plenty of others who say the 100% opposite.

Ya I get what you are saying but in your experience would they put a part in to find out it doesnt fix the problem and still charge for that part?

Ya I get what you are saying but in your experience would they put a part in to find out it doesnt fix the problem and still charge for that part?

No, sure why would they do that? I'd tell them to explain or feck off. We do most of our own servicing, and service a lot of other peoples yokes too, but somtimes you're at nothing and the dealer is the way to go. In those cases, suck it up and go to the dealer. I'm as mean as the next lad(some would say meaner..) but often, the dealer is the cheapest/fastest way to go.

• Advertisement

That's good to hear that they wouldn't be charging for unnecessary parts so. That was a big fear. Is an hour or two usually enough diagnostic time for a main dealer to diagnose a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Got a maf on e-bay for my dci-115 - (70 sterling)fitted in 5 mins and sorted out my prob a while back - (kept going into limp as well )
    But a Renault trained mechanic had done the diagnostics and said start with maf and move on if that's not it..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Packrat

No, sure why would they do that? I'd tell them to explain or feck off. We do most of our own servicing, and service a lot of other peoples yokes too, but somtimes you're at nothing and the dealer is the way to go. In those cases, suck it up and go to the dealer. I'm as mean as the next lad(some would say meaner..) but often, the dealer is the cheapest/fastest way to go.

Some main dealers will keep replacing stuff as long as you keep paying. Several of the lads who worked for me went through nightmares with those vans a few years ago. Main dealers walked away from them (all three types)

I generally agree that unless an independent has plenty of experience with that particular make and model that sometimes they are a waste of time and money.
    The key is to get the RIGHT independent garage in my experience if you're going that route.

Me? I'd sell it and buy a transit. Predictable problems which are easier to fix.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

had same prob in a 1.5 dci .. was a loose fuse under the hood.. after a days work checking other things :(

Thanks to the absolute ledgend Row he connected the van.up to his computer this morning and got the error code as well as live data when driving the van. Hopefully by tomirrow evening or Tuesday I will have the issue sorted out all going well

Here's the fault code in case anyone has seen it before. Its df 569

How did turbos pressures look on live data

corkgsxr wrote: »
    How did turbos pressures look on live data

The boost was about 1 bar low when I pulled out if Rows yard but then it went to normal level after that

Here's the fault code in case anyone has seen it before. Its df 569

018 Upstream oxygen sensor fault - replace the MAf ?? df569 low turbo boost, might be vacuum related, check the vacuum pipes to the turbo.

• Advertisement

Upstream oxygen sensor fault - replace the MAf ??

Is that the sensor by air filter box

Advertisement