Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker's allowance after working/studying abroad.

Options
  • 09-11-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been doing a masters in the Netherlands since last February and before that was working in Bulgaria for the best part of a year. I'll be returning to Ireland in December (although technically I don't graduate until January 31st) with the intention of finding work. I'm planning on signing on for the JSA once I get back just in case but I'm unsure of my eligibility for this. Has anyone here any experience of claiming benefits in Ireland after studying and working abroad (I have previously worked in Ireland so have a PPS number)?

First of all, I'm guessing I won't be entitled to claim until I've officially finished my course on January 31st (even though all classes and exams finish on Dec 18th so I'll be available to work from then on)?
    Secondly, does anyone know anything about extra documentation I might need? Such as proof that I've officially left the Netherlands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Hi, I've been doing a masters in the Netherlands since last February and before that was working in Bulgaria for the best part of a year. I'll be returning to Ireland in December (although technically I don't graduate until January 31st) with the intention of finding work. I'm planning on signing on for the JSA once I get back just in case but I'm unsure of my eligibility for this. Has anyone here any experience of claiming benefits in Ireland after studying and working abroad (I have previously worked in Ireland so have a PPS number)?

First of all, I'm guessing I won't be entitled to claim until I've officially finished my course on January 31st (even though all classes and exams finish on Dec 18th so I'll be available to work from then on)?
    Secondly, does anyone know anything about extra documentation I might need? Such as proof that I've officially left the Netherlands?

Gather up every single scrap of evidence that you have finished with Netherlands forever. Tenancy closed bank account closed course completely finished flight arrangements showing return to Ireland one way.
    Evidence of intention to stay in Ireland. Tenancy agreement here bank account open here. Mobile phone contract in your name. You get the picture. What SW do not want is to give you JSA while you are here having a little holiday with your family while you decide where to go or where to go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

As the poster quite rightly states above, you will need to prove your intention to stay in Ireland for the foreseeable future to satisfy the Habitual Residency condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I should be able to manage the habitual residency condition. Another thing that just occurred to me is that generally a P45 is required when applying for JSA and my last job was in Bulgaria where they do not issue P45's. Am I going to have to tackle the behemoth that is Bulgarian bureaucracy to find and claim their equivalent?

Advertisement