Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d food printing is here, would you eat it

Options
  • 09-11-2014 1:43am

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/06/tech/innovation/foodini-machine-print-food/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
    Dublin (CNN) -- As further proof that you can now 3D-print anything, a company called Natural Machines has introduced a 3D printer for food.
    The "Foodini," as it's called, isn't too different from a regular 3D printer, but instead of printing with plastics, it deploys edible ingredients squeezed out of stainless steel capsules: "It's the same technology," says Lynette Kucsma, co-founder of Natural Machines, "but with plastics there's just one melting point, whereas with food it's different temperatures, consistencies and textures. Also, gravity works a little bit against us, as food doesn't hold the shape as well as plastic."
    OK I know that a lot of the highly processed food you see in the supermarkets is already almost 3D printed, except it is just served as a lump or a sliced lump!

Would you want a machine that extrudes or prints your meals in the kitchen.

The only real problem I see (apart from the taste of the food) is the fact that it would need constant cleaning.

Personally, I would prefer my food to be real, rather than printed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It is real though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Yeah i'd ate it. Ate anything me, even me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Probably taste better than [insert hated food here]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Could you print nuggets and curry chips and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sounds like the first step towards that thing in Star Trek that materialized any food you wanted.

Can't imagine edible liquid formed into a shape tastes nice though

• Advertisement

Could you print nuggets and curry chips and stuff
    Easily. Just may not look or taste as good as usual, unless you're drunk! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I would fear turning into some grotesque Brundlefly type creature if I ate that ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

May work for cakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Everything tastes good when drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Enough talking, db. Print me off a cheese toastie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I imagine the food lacks texture, which is so important for some foods eg Salads have to be crunchy to be nice

Ruu wrote: »
    Enough talking, db. Print me off a cheese toastie!
    I have a toaster that has a 500 kg spring in it, which direction shall I point it! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Will I be able to download pizzas from Dominoes and print it soon?

Can't wait to torrent that.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

when they can print something fresh and healthy like an Apple with all it's nutrients then I'll be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Nimr wrote: »
    Will I be able to download pizzas from Domnioes and print it soon?

Can't wait to torrent that.. :pac:

Cash strapped people will be illegally downloading food. Wonder how many megabytes it will take to eat it :pac:

KKkitty wrote: »
    Cash strapped people will be illegally downloading food. Wonder how many megabytes it will take to eat it :pac:

I am now wondering how much bandwidth the perfect woman will take up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Since the perfect woman is a fallacy I'd say the answer is 0.

Probably more than your broad band could provide, but you have to have the ingredients locally in your printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

In Finland they tried 3D printing 3D printed food (a clone of a clone) and those guys haven't been able to see or taste yellow for a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I don't see the problem, have chefs, confectioneries, Cadburys not been 3D printing our food for years? the only difference is they call it a craft. The machine only shapes the food but it still has to be cooked "Currently, the device only prints the food, which must be then cooked as usual." is that not the definition of the same machines that make microwave meals? would it not be the deffinition of the guy who makes your pizza?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Yeah i'd ate it. Ate anything me, even me.
    You'd have to remove a few ribs first...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Calling it 'printed' food is a bit silly.

How is it different from many other processed foods are produced in a factory?

Mix up the ingredients, store them until needed, sqirt them out into a shape to be cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Would be nice to come home in the evening and print a cup of tea

Getting real tired of everything being called "3D printing" lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Will it print Soylent Green? If so, count me in.

Not your ornery onager

Probably more than your broad band could provide, but you have to have the ingredients locally in your printer.

a visit to the local graveyard and bloodbank and its good to go ? The creation of life is a creepy thing - so much power to be unethical. I can see a day when these printers will be able to construct DNA and new lifeforms. But I guess the home made Nuke is also way off but thats only because some of the materials are restricted...

Advertisement