Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 year friendship, dead…

Options
  • 09-11-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

20 years I've known this guys. My best friend. My best man. He never calls anymore. Has never seen my son. Such a shame.

He's got a son of his own now. I'll never see him. The boys will never play together. They'll never hear our stories. How we met. How we met their mothers on the same night. Such a shame.

The friendship just died. After 20 years… such a shame. Such a shame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mad muffin wrote: »
    20 years I've known this guys. My best friend. My best man. He never calls anymore. Has never seen my son. Such a shame.

He's got a son of his own now. I'll never see him. The boys will never play together. They'll never hear our stories. How we met. How we met their mothers on the same night. Such a shame.

The friendship just died. After 20 years… such a shame. Such a shame.

Tis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Tis fierce sad altogether, thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Did you call him...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

What happened? You did the dirt or he did the dirt..or was it just "drift"??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's a close friendship for two men. Quit yer bawlin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Bake him a cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

why the post? Are you going to mention why or how it ended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I recommend a good Camembert washed down with a spicy red, perhaps a 2007 Mingo Napa or an Australian Shiraz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Make a pass at him. Hes been waiting for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tis fierce sad altogether, thanks for sharing.

Ha.

Sorry. I don't know why I posted it. I'm not even that drunk. Just finishing off the last bottle of beer before bed and was perusing Facebook, when I saw a photo of him and his son.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Did you call him...?

My I've tried. I've tried messaging. It's been dying slowly over the past 4 years.

Ever since my son was born. I think it's because they were trying for so long before. I don't know.

This is so blah. Why did I post this thread…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

repeat after me. "boards.ie, is not an online diary".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

People drift, people change . A sad and unfortunate part of life. Just be happy with all those good times, all those times of joy, happieness, even times of sorrow. We are different people in different stages of our lives. And that's okay, just as long as we remember who we were and who they were sharing those important times in our life :)

Well now he has his own child, maybe try sending him a message on FB and meeting up with the kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

He could be sitting at home thinking the same thing?

A lot of guys are terrible communicators (I know I'm certainly guilty of this) and terrible at keeping a friendship going.

Did you make the effort?

Whatever else make sure you'll always know that you've made the effort, it'll be easier to live with.
    And remember, sometimes this just happens, it's just life, people change, especially once there's kids involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ha.

Sorry. I don't know why I posted it. I'm not even that drunk. Just finishing off the last bottle of beer before bed and was perusing Facebook, when I saw a photo of him and his son.

My I've tried. I've tried messaging. It's been dying slowly over the past 4 years.

Ever since my son was born. I think it's because they were trying for so long before. I don't know.

This is so blah. Why did I post this thread…

The beer must be taking effect:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Don't just message him get on the phone. His friendship obviously means a lot to you so do your very best to sort it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Buy a Ctek charger op, you take the positive clip and your friend the negative, plug it in and let the very complicated voodoo take place.
    Friendship back to life.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

After Hours has become very Personal Issues lately

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    why the post? Are you going to mention why or how it ended?

I don't really why I posted. We or should unsay he and his partner drifted away after our boy was born.

I worked with him for years. We shared a house together with his our girlfriends. It's… It's… just BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

That's exactly what happened with my dad and his childhood friend when they both got married, it just became awkward on both sides. We wound up hearing all the stories at my dad's wake though, shame it didn't happen when they both couldn't revel in the retellings together but it was by far the nicest part of an awful week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

It happens man......your priorities are to your family,as are his. You will probably meet, in time,have a few pints and promise to meet more often whilst knowing you are both bullshytting each other to disguise an uncomfortable truth..

At least remember the craic ye had together,getting up to the same shennannigans at your present age would be daft.

Welcome to middle age.

I'm off to bed. No more drinking and facebooking then blabbering like a scolded child on AH…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I thought he actually died :o

Hope it works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

crockholm wrote: »
    It happens man......your priorities are to your family,as are his. You will probably meet, in time,have a few pints and promise to meet more often whilst knowing you are both bullshytting each other to disguise an uncomfortable truth..

At least remember the craic ye had together,getting up to the same shennannigans at your present age would be daft.

Welcome to middle age.

And with that truth I'll be off to bed, gotta mind the kids in the morning :o

Closed at request of OP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement