Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Wine Recommendation

Options
  • 09-11-2014 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

My wife likes Merlot, her favourite is McGuigan's Black Label.

I have absolutely no idea about wines, so is there something similar to that, don't mind if it's a bit more expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For just a Merlot varietal (i.e. 100% Merlot), I like Isla Negra Merlot (Chilean) which you can get in Tescos.

For a step up in quality, Merlot features as one of the key wine grapes in Bordeaux wines, in some cases 60% - 80% Merlot. So I think that would be something worth exploring.

In a good off-licence (e.g. somewhere they know a bit about wine), you could ask for a Bordeaux that is Merlot dominant (typically from the Pomerol, Saint Emilion and Lalande de Pomerol areas of Bordeaux). Get a "Grand vin de Bordeaux", it will say it on the label, and try to keep the alcohol percentage under 14%. Some Bordeaux wines can be powerful and if you're used to 12%/13% Merlot wines you feel the difference.
    On northside of Dublin I'd recommend Clontarf Wines, or Jus de Vins Portmarnock, for a special bottle. In city centre the Corkscrew off Grafton Street.

If you want to try a v drinkable Bordeaux, LIDL have several ones I personally like... starting with their simple Claret, and then their Blaye Cotes du Bordeaux, then Lussac St Emilion Bordeaux.
    LIDL also have a Chilean and French Merlot varietal which are nice also.
    Most of those wines are under 10e but LIDL also have lots of interesting Bordeaux wines for > 10e also.

If there's no LIDL near you, Tesco stock a v nice Lussac Saint Emilion which is on offer at the moment at 12-13e, usually 20e.

I should explain Merlot was my first red wine also, and acted as a gateway drug to Bordeaux, Pinot Noir\Burgundy wines, and Riojas...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I got some Red McGuigans recently, it was awful to drink, tbh I was expecting more from it, I believ it was a shiraz. The steaks cooked in it were nice though.
    No self professed expert
    I like Shiraz, Cabernet Shiraz sometimes, depending on the wine, Ive come across Italian and Spanish Red wines, seem lighter than French or maybe its my imagination. I do like that velvety smooth taste, rather than really strong, I think Merlot can be too strong like that sometimes? never really got onto French wines after having some and not liking them (im at the lower end of the prices now, so Im sure they have wide variety of fine wines that are available, just maybe not here).

Any recommendations for me, especially if I can get them at a better price, be it Lidl/Aldi/wine merchants/Dunnes. I just more or less pick stuff, based on previous experience, Id like to be less hit and miss.

cerastes wrote: »
    I like Shiraz, Cabernet Shiraz sometimes, depending on the wine, Ive come across Italian and Spanish Red wines, seem lighter than French or maybe its my imagination.

These might be worth checking out...
    Wolf Blass Cabernet Shiraz Yellow Label (available most places) - although I would have said it would be stronger than most Merlot varietals.
    Tesco have small 1-glass bottles for about 2.50e of Gallo Cabernet Sauvignon, and Hardys Cabernet Shiraz. Good way to try before buying full bottle.

Think all of these are 12.5% or lighter, and cost 5-7e...
    LIDL Montelpulciano d'Abruzzo (Italian red)
    LIDL Rioja Crianza (Spanish red)
    ALDI Toscana Rosso (Italian red, v light)

For velvety\smooth, ALDI have a Pinot Noir from Vignobles Rousselet for about 7.50e ... dont give up on French wines until you've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 joker jonboy

im no expert at all but I do like Italian reds and Rioja (tempanarillo grape)

The Toscana Rossa in aldi is brilliant for the money and you can never go wrong with a chateau nuef de pape its always on sale somewhere for €15

If there are any good wine shops in your area just chat to the person behind counter about what you like they will point you in right direction.

Anyone any other recommendations for fruity easy to drink reds????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

im no expert at all but I do like Italian reds and Rioja (tempanarillo grape)

The Toscana Rossa in aldi is brilliant for the money and you can never go wrong with a chateau nuef de pape its always on sale somewhere for €15

If there are any good wine shops in your area just chat to the person behind counter about what you like they will point you in right direction.

Anyone any other recommendations for fruity easy to drink reds????

I thought that was standard fare for a joke? maybe some chateau neuf de pap are good though? are all chateau neuf de paps created equal? :)

Ive come across some spanish and italian reds and I found them lighter and sweeter than french wines, but again my experience and exposure to good wines has probably been limited.
    Ive recently had some wine, Monastier Shiraz (alleges on an extra gold label, premium selection/gold selection), not sure where it was bought, again not great, maybe Im going off Shiraz, had two glasses, nodded off for a bit and woke with a terrible headache which wouldnt go away till the next morning, the remainder of that is only Reserva for a steak.
    I thought a hangover from so little was a sign of a lot of preservatives, although I may have less tolerance as I drink very little or possibly some reduced ability to process alcohol.
    I'll have a look in Aldi next time, it was lidls turn before and I havent consumed the recommended Rioja Crianza, there was another bottle called Rioja Reserva? for only a euro more, but I thought Id try the wine recommended in the thread, maybe this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dazag

can i ask for opinions on the
    Isla Negra Merlot 75C

Isla Negra Chardonnay 75Cl

For a wedding wine?

Thanks

dazag wrote: »
    can i ask for opinions on the
    Isla Negra Merlot 75C
    Isla Negra Chardonnay 75Cl
    For a wedding wine?
    Thanks

The Isla Negra Merlot, thumbs up, goes well with chicken or red meat.
    Haven't had the Chardonnay... Chardonnay is a bit of a 'divider' wine, people tend to really like or dislike it. Something like Pinot Grigio or a not too tart Sauvignon Blanc is more usual. If you want more info on the white wine perhaps create a new thread for it? You're likely to get better feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazag

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Isla Negra Merlot, thumbs up, goes well with chicken or red meat.
    Haven't had the Chardonnay... Chardonnay is a bit of a 'divider' wine, people tend to really like or dislike it. Something like Pinot Grigio or a not too tart Sauvignon Blanc is more usual. If you want more info on the white wine perhaps create a new thread for it? You're likely to get better feedback.

Any word heard of Santa Martha wine the merchant slatterys has them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

can i highjack this thread for advice on a decent quality red for over the christmas and to have with the main dinner? I prefer old world as new world tend to leave me in a heap the next day…. ballpark 20euro and low on the tannins would also be welcomed. I live near an O'Briens if thats any help.
    thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

can i highjack this thread for advice on a decent quality red for over the christmas and to have with the main dinner? I prefer old world as new world tend to leave me in a heap the next day…. ballpark 20euro and low on the tannins would also be welcomed. I live near an O'Briens if thats any help.
    thanks in advance

Low tannins you should look for a either a French Pinot Noir from Burgundy or Gamay from Beaujolais.
    Or if you prefer Italian then Valpolicalla Ripasso which can be a richer, more full bodied style but also tends to be quite smooth and fruit driven with medium tannin.
    O'Briens are running a promotion at the moment on Christmas wines so should be plenty of choice in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I'm in the same boat, this thread has been very helpful, so thanks for the info.

Advertisement