Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car info, Focus/Astra/307

Options
  • 09-11-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all I'm looking to buy a car between 05+ with around 3500 to 4k
    I've earmarked a focus, an astra, and a 307 no more than 1.4 would prefer a diesel but not bothered if it was petrol can anyone help with these different cars ive had an 03 astra before and loved it just was heavy on juice am afraid for that being the case again with more modern ones also looking for one with a few mod extras like a/c bluetooth at a push though again these arent deal breakers

Thanks for any input
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

What kind of mileage are you expecting to do. No point in buying a diesel if you're doing low mileage.
    I like the Focus to drive but I have a chip about Ford reliability, not familiar enough about the others to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jameseverard

mostly driving round town and that be limited long journeys ive being hearing great things bout the 307 but then with frenchies can you trust em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

There's no point in buying a diesel to drive around town they take longer to get upto operating temperature and cost a lot more to buy it is also difficult to get a decent one for your budget buy a decent petrol up the years. Out of your 3 my preference would be the astra second would probably be the focus although the 1.4 focus is known to be very Slow so best to look at the 1.6 petrol. I don't think the 307 is a particularly bad car either I know someone who has a 07 from new and I don't think it's ever had an issue although it's minded well.

Op I'd say test drive the 3 and see what you prefer there isn't much difference in the 3 in terms of reliability so it's more about preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

02 onwards corolla hatch should be considered. They're relatively powerful and economical.

Wild card
    07 kia ceed 1.6 petrol
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-1-6/7912081

Bpmull wrote: »
    There's no point in buying a diesel to drive around town they take longer to get upto operating temperature and cost a lot more to buy it is also difficult to get a decent one for your budget buy a decent petrol up the years. Out of your 3 my preference would be the astra second would probably be the focus although the 1.4 focus is known to be very Slow so best to look at the 1.6 petrol. I don't think the 307 is a particularly bad car either I know someone who has a 07 from new and I don't think it's ever had an issue although it's minded well.

Op I'd say test drive the 3 and see what you prefer there isn't much difference in the 3 in terms of reliability so it's more about preference.

thanks was hoping to rule out one of them lol but appreciate the input everytime i look at them i think yea thats the one for me lol

I have looked at the corollas but have only found one in my price range its still a good one though just makes it harder

• Advertisement

Mazda3 do anything for you?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mazda3 do anything for you?

no dont like it had a couple of looks at it

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Hi all I'm looking to buy a car between 05+ with around 3500 to 4k
    I've earmarked a focus, an astra, and a 307 no more than 1.4 would prefer a diesel but not bothered if it was petrol can anyone help with these different cars ive had an 03 astra before and loved it just was heavy on juice am afraid for that being the case again with more modern ones also looking for one with a few mod extras like a/c bluetooth at a push though again these arent deal breakers

Thanks for any input

From my experience avoid the 307 hdi . I had one, well cared for etc, but when they go wrong boy do they go wrong. Epic bills. I've come to the conclusion that buying a modern diesel second hand is a complete false economy. Ie injectors will fail. Dpf will fail, egr valves will fail. Dmf will fail etc etc. Buy a petrol.

The 1.4 petrol 307 is unbelievably slow though.

being honest im finished with speed have three kids so am looking for a get around car that will last the years but with one in a booster and one in a second stage car seat so need a bigger than your city cars im prob gonna go for the petrol

• Advertisement

Any 307 I ever sold came back with niggly warranty stuff. I wouldn't want one long term.
    They gave their advantages though, comfy, well equipped, relatively modern, safe.

I'm not suggesting you'd want to be going sideways through roundabouts, but there is a difference between a car that is pleasant to drive and one that isn't.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any 307 I ever sold came back with niggly warranty stuff. I wouldn't want one long term.
    They gave their advantages though, comfy, well equipped, relatively modern, safe.

I'm not suggesting you'd want to be going sideways through roundabouts, but there is a difference between a car that is pleasant to drive and one that isn't.

its one thing i was afraid of with the likes of french cars just can someone else rule out a megane i love one lovely black leather interior and black car and sun roof but cant bring myself to look too much into it am i right in thinking id be buying problem after problem

The earlier mk2 meganes were pretty flakey alright. The later ones weren't nearly as bad apparently.

You could be lucky.

I'm not an optimist when it comes to cars though.

this one is 2008 dont no anything bout what years what with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

We had a 04 model megane and had a lot of trouble and it's had a lot of electrical trouble. We had a 07 megane the face lift one and never caused a days trouble and the guy we sold it onto had it for two years and never caused him any trouble so it does seem the newer shape 06 on seemed to be more reliable than the pre facelift. I'm a bit of a Renault fan but you will always take a risk buying them meganes but then that could be said with ever secondhand car really.

Out of your list if I had to choose two it would be astra and focus in that order. I think them astra h are a really nice car had one too but it was diesel. Although the focus maybe bigger in the back though thats the only thing I'm thinking but not sure.

Bpmull wrote: »
    We had a 04 model megane and had a lot of trouble and it's had a lot of electrical trouble. We had a 07 megane the face lift one and never caused a days trouble and the guy we sold it onto had it for two years and never caused him any trouble so it does seem the newer shape 06 on seemed to be more reliable than the pre facelift. I'm a bit of a Renault fan but you will always take a risk buying them meganes but then that could be said with ever secondhand car really.

Out of your list if I had to choose two it would be astra and focus in that order. I think them astra h are a really nice car had one too but it was diesel. Although the focus maybe bigger in the back though thats the only thing I'm thinking but not sure.

Ah I know its a head wrecker this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Even the facelift Megan can give it's issues. They still feel flimsy and the window regulators give a lot of trouble on them. They are probably the most comfortable cars in that class though.

I wouldn't bother with an astra of that vintage , they aren't the greatest yoke out there.

307's can be hit and miss, some people are lucky enough with them, others aren't. The build quality is a bit on the cheap side in general though.

A 1.6 petrol focus would be decent enough with adequate performance, good driving dynamics, and it's generally reliable enough too.

A corolla of that vintage is the most reliable car in it's class, it's also is one of the better 1.4's in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. They are also easy and cheap to maintain.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Even the facelift Megan can give it's issues. They still feel flimsy and the window regulators give a lot of trouble on them. They are probably the most comfortable cars in that class though.

I wouldn't bother with an astra of that vintage , they aren't the greatest yoke out there.

307's can be hit and miss, some people are lucky enough with them, others aren't. The build quality is a bit on the cheap side in general though.

A 1.6 petrol focus would be decent enough with adequate performance, good driving dynamics, and it's generally reliable enough too.

A corolla of that vintage is the most reliable car in it's class, it's also is one of the better 1.4's in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. They are also easy and cheap to maintain.

Thanks for that like the corolla myself just dont like how cheap the meganes are too dont wanna too much of a risk ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

can i ask without sounding thick is there much a difference between corolla hatchback and saloon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mechanically they are identical, some differences in body panels. The saloon is built in Turkey and the hatchback built in Britain. Hatchbacks are more desirable, generally better equipped and cost more to buy.

so reliability wise they are identical too just seeing more saloon than hatchbacks within my price range

There's nothing between them reliability wise.

Advertisement