Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Twingo - will it be a runner?

Options
  • 08-11-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Prices just out, certainly not inexpensive (unlike the last model) and indeed on par with a well spec'd new Model Clio 1.2 with a 4-banger engine. Cant wait to drive the Tce version, would think that the NA 3 cylinder will be a bit sluggish with 70bhp on tap. Meant to bring the prices home but forgot sorry! Will be interesting to see how it goes and to see the inevitable snow-drift video's later in the year on YouTube!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The layout looks deadly, something really different.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Prices for Expression 70bhp starting around €15,400-ish including delivery and metallic paint. High spec TCe 90 S/S Dynamique a shade under €18,000 !!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Rear wheel drive, and rear engine, where's the sport model?! Not impressed by the looks though, I generally like these small quirky cars, but this just looks bloated. I'd love to have a go in one though, I bet it's a fun drive even in the normal models.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

It is not fun. It is noisy and doesn't handle well. Interior is not up to the standard of the class leaders. I had an extended test drive in one last month.

There is no comparisson between this car and the Up/Mii/CitiGo or Hyundai i10.
    If you like to drive and drive outside of town then go for Up/Mii/CitiGo and if you are undemanding and drive mainly in the city then go for the i10.
    I covered 300km in an i10 in the last few days and it was great but suffered more from side-winds than the Mii I drove for a few hundred KM a few months ago. It didn't feel as planted as the Mii going through roundabouts either.
    I did over 300km on 15 litres of petrol in that i10 despite not driving it particularly easy and doing 130kmph on the motorway. Real world 5L/100km petrol cars are few and far between. Mii wasn't quite as easy on fuel but it invited hard drving more than the i10.

the Twingo just didn't do anything particularly well and was nowhere near as refined as the others I mentioned and just didn't handle well. I could live with either of the other cars as a full time car even though they are city cars but I was happy to give the keys back for the Twingo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I now think the last model 133bhp Twingo will become a cult car in the way an AX GT or Lupo GTI or 106 Rallye was a cult car.
    based on how poor the new model is I think Renault would have been better off doing a heavy refresh like Opel have just done with the Corsa and in the process saved themselves hundreds of millions in development costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Looks like a fun driver, especially for learners. It's light enough, low-powered so as not to get people into trouble, but enough poke not to be totally gutless.

I'd like to try one. Could never buy one new, but I think I know someone who might be buying something like it next year.

Advertisement