Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R/C Car...Battery vs Nitro

Options
  • 08-11-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My son is buying a (cheapish) Nitro 1/8 Buggy. I am considering an electric buggy (either 1/8 or 1/10). He maintains that a Nitro car will run for much longer than an electric one.
    Obviously I accept that he can just refuel his while I would have to recharge mine (or swap power-packs).
    But I am unsure how long his Batteries (for Receiver & servo's) will last.
    If they last for a few hours then he would have the longer-lasting option. But if they would only keep him going for maybe 20 minutes or so then I think that a Battery-powered Buggy would be a better choice in general.
    Any opinions ?
    Also, would a battery-powered buggy (2nd hand, as we're both on a budget) provide decent competition compared to a Nitro ?
    It would be just for racing each other on our own premises...about an acre to play around with.
    All replies appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

If you are on a budget..... Nitro fuel isnt cheap ;)

But either way you cant just keep running and running a car, things wear, things break, things need to cool down.

As for 1/8 ebuggy and nitro competing, both of them run together in racing, so yes they do. The nitro buggy has to come in for pitstops to refuel, where the ebuggy doesnt (though they are forced). Thats over a 30 min race.
    I think after 30 mins of running you will need a break, never mind the car. (that probably answers your questions on the run times too)

But if Mugenxtreme is on, hes really the man to answer your questions. Im biased too .. i like electrics most :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Thanks for that Doktor.
    Also if going Nitro would I be better off going for something new from the likes of hobbyking, or looking at a 2nd hand 'better' make....Losi for example.
    My concern with 2nd hand is that I have no idea of it's history....could have only been used a couple of times a year, could have been thrashed weekly by 2 or 3 people.
    TBH I am probably biased towards nitro, into restoring Mini's and we have a couple of Autotest cars that we prepared, and compete in, ourselves. So I would prefer the mechanical tinkering to the electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

The most important thing, is that you can get parts. I dont know what hobby king is like for the spares. But no point in breaking somthing (you will) and not be able to get it driving again.
    If you plan on driving it around a field and not racing, i doubt it matters what type you go for, (HK or other) as long as you can get bits.

If you plan on racing it, theres a1/8th off road club in cork, navan and tallaght. Id talk to the guys who race there, they will tell you what goes well. (im 1/10th so dont know what brands or models are any good)

Im not going to advise you on nitro engines as im an electric racer, but there plenty of "mechanical tinkering" with both nitro and electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Hi,

Unfortunately there isn't a simple answer here. There are a lot of variables between just Nitro or Electric.

I do race a 1/8th Nitro car and enjoy it but do also see advantages to electric.

It also depends on the electric in use - the LiPo powered ones can easily keep up with Nitros (and can be faster as well) depending on setup etc. But some of the Ready to runs only come with a NiMh battery that don't have the power of the LiPo.

As for second hand - there are different levels here as well. You could get what is called a 'roller' where you don't get the engine or the electronics - meaning you supply your own and know the history or you can also get complete cars. But it can be a gamble.

Knowing that spare parts are available is a must - things always need to be replaced. e.g. I've been racing for a few years and at the last race I completely stripped my clutch bell. Nothing to do with a crash, just the engine moved in its mount and stripped the gear. It happens.

It's a great hobby. I'd recommend going to one of the clubs and talking to people. They may know of good second hand deals going on, I know a few people planning on upgrading their cars and may be off-loading their old setups.

If you are near to Navan there is a race day on this Sunday (Nov. 16th). There should be some people there that could help. Check WWW.NNN.IE for directions.

- Al.

Advertisement