Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another VRT question

Options
  • 08-11-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi,

Am looking at buying a car in Belfast.

Currently the VRT is 2850. Car registered in March 2010.

If I repete the VRT calc with car registered in Dec 2009 the VRT is 2319.

Consideriable saving.

If I buy the car today I can convert my Irish insurance over to the UK reg car until the date of the next renewual (without paying the VRT). At renewual they can refuse to cover me until I pay the VRT and convert the plates.

I can also register the car using my name at a mates address in the UK.

Question is if I wait until Janurary 2015 to register the car the VRT should be 2319.

Will I get away with it?

Or would I need cancel my Irish insurance, insure with a UK insurance company using my mates address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The rules state that the car has to be booked for a VRT inspection within 7 days of coming into the country and has to be VRT'd and on Irish plates within 30 days.

My understanding is that Irish insurance companies are required to notify Revenue if a foreign registered vehicle on their books has not transferred over to Irish plates after 30 days which would suggest that when you do go to VRT it Revenue could well add penalties to the VRT price. What your suggesting to do with a mates address and UK insurance company is considered fraud if you managed to pull it off.

Imo if you want to do this on the level and avoid hassle just wait and buy the car early in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Are you able to claim back some VAT from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Check the VRT for both January & June 2010 for the same model car with the same mileage.....usually the June figure will be cheaper.
    Could even be halfway between your two figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

bazz26 wrote: »
    The rules state that the car has to be booked for a VRT inspection within 7 days of coming into the country and has to be VRT'd and on Irish plates within 30 days.

My understanding is that Irish insurance companies are required to notify Revenue if a foreign registered vehicle on their books has not transferred over to Irish plates after 30 days which would suggest that when you do go to VRT it Revenue could well add penalties to the VRT price. What your suggesting to do with a mates address and UK insurance company is considered fraud if you managed to pull it off.

Imo if you want to do this on the level and avoid hassle just wait and buy the car early in the new year.

car is insured by irish insurance company AND
    the car is actually in ireland is two DIFFERENT things.

If the Revenue want to add penalties, they have to provide sufficient evidences.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Check the VRT for both January & June 2010 for the same model car with the same mileage.....usually the June figure will be cheaper.
    Could even be halfway between your two figures.

I would have expected the same, that the depreciation is calculated in monthly increments.

But when I checked it today this is what I found:
    2312 Dec-09
    2849 Jan-10
    2849 Mar-10
    2849 Jun-10
    2919 Dec-10
    3390 Jan-11

Old car has started to give trouble so need to make that plunge and finally sort out a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

PeteK* wrote: »
    Are you able to claim back some VAT from the UK?

Unfortunately not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

fleex wrote: »
    car is insured by irish insurance company AND
    the car is actually in ireland is two DIFFERENT things.

If the Revenue want to add penalties, they have to provide sufficient evidences.

With revenue, don't you have to prove that it wasn't in the country rather than them proving that it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

your calculation of what the VRT will be in January is flawed.

Advertisement