Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Advert

Options
  • 08-11-2014 8:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭

So Bord Gais has a new advert with a canary singing in the fashion of The Dubliners which is fair enough if it appeals but the last line of it is "or you might just wake up dead", now previous to this I only seen it after 9pm (the watershed) but I'm watching Shrek here on RTE1 and they just showed it during the break so is it just me or does anyone else think this ad is inappropriate to show during a kids movie? I mean kids will see a singing canary and think "Wow cool" but the last line would frighten the ****e out of them especially the way the canary starts to look like some kind of psycho when he says it. Here's the ad for anyone who hasn't seen it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Yeah...that was pretty much the most ****ed up thing I've seen on RTE.Freaky ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

How exactly do you "wake up" dead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

DarkJager wrote: »

On the other side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

We are not talking metaphysics here we are talking about the affect this advert could have on kids but if you want to be pedantic I'm sure most 7 year olds think that it is quite possible to wake up dead especially if a freaky canary tells them it is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My five year old thinks it's funny. It's just an ad OP, I'm sure your kid isn't analysing the lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I really don't think the vast majority of children are that pansy assed, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They should go back to using the cute robots.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You've little enough to be worrying about it seems, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Scary Canary kind of reminds me of Mrs Doyle trying to guess the priest's name

"Father Spodo Komodo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Chunners wrote: »
    We are not talking metaphysics here we are talking about the affect this advert could have on kids but if you want to be pedantic I'm sure most 7 year olds think that it is quite possible to wake up dead especially if a freaky canary tells them it is possible

There were much more unsettling, even downright disturbing safety adverts in my youth (particularly some of the fire safety ones). This is tame in comparison but I do agree that line is a very sudden shift in tone compared to the rest of the advert. I'm not sure many 7 year olds would fully understand it enough to be scared though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

It's like when you turn up missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think things like that goes over kids heads.

Apparently Toy Story 3 was very scary from an adult perspective, but not for kids

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's like when you turn up missing.

And a bit like when you die a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

eviltwin wrote: »
    My five year old thinks it's funny. It's just an ad OP, I'm sure your kid isn't analysing the lyrics.

I don't have kids but I still don't think the end of the advert is appropriate for kids to see

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't have kids but I still don't think the end of the advert is appropriate for kids to see

Don't be worrying about it so, most seven yr olds have seen a whole lot worse than that.

5starpool wrote: »
    You've little enough to be worrying about it seems, OP.

I'm not worried about it I was asking peoples (hopefully parents) opinions thats all since I would be under the assumption that the advert isn't appropriate to be showing during a kids movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

amdublin wrote: »

Or dying of a Tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So Bord Gais has a new advert with a canary singing in the fashion of The Dubliners which is fair enough if it appeals but the last line of it is "or you might just wake up dead", now previous to this I only seen it after 9pm (the watershed) but I'm watching Shrek here on RTE1 and they just showed it during the break so is it just me or does anyone else think this ad is inappropriate to show during a kids movie? I mean kids will see a singing canary and think "Wow cool" but the last line would frighten the ****e out of them especially the way the canary starts to look like some kind of psycho when he says it. Here's the ad for anyone who hasn't seen it

Bah. I have a 3 and a 9er and they dont bad an eye about this ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

So are we meant to follow the exquisite adventures of Cyril the alcoholic squirrel or RTE's official's pisshead as a form of inebriated guidance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

amdublin wrote: »

Or being killed by death

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm sure you know plenty of neighbours, friends and family though that have children? Would they honestly be frightened by the scary canary during Shrek?

Shrek is a great big moody ogre, lives in a swamp, Princess Fiona is an ogre with self-image issues, Lord Farquad is a midget tyrant, and donkey, well donkey is just a pain in the face!

Oh, X Factor is on now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Read a roald dahl book sometime.

Pc brigade get lost. Kids need stimulation

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

You think thats creepy?Look what they used to show on kids tv in the 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Read a roald dahl book sometime.

Pc brigade get lost. Kids need stimulation

The witches scared the crap out of me as a kid, the topic of death and aging was also major theme running through it, although probably didn't have that level of understanding at the time.
    While scary it tackled topics we all have to deal with eventually, its a bit like an emotional immune system that has to build up to deal with lifes ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Are you serious?Would you prefer kids didn't know the danger of carbon monoxide?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

darkdubh wrote: »
    Are you serious?Would you prefer kids didn't know the danger of carbon monoxide?

most kids can't even pronounce carbon monoxide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

You think thats creepy?Look what they used to show on kids tv in the 70s.

What the what??? I had to Google that programme because I was certain you had to be taking the pi$$ - I can't believe that messed-up tripe was allowed to air.

Advertisement