Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foam rolling, when, where and how?

Options
  • 08-11-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I got a foam roller over the summer, I got some kind of red spiked ball too. I never used the ball because I haven't a notion what to do with it.

I use the roller most mornings and nights and within half an hour of most runs & cycles. I only hop on it for about a minute each time and just do the backs of my legs.

My main problems are ankle and calf injuries.

Is it possible to use the ball or roller around my foot?

Should I be targeting other areas?

Should I be doing long sessions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I got a foam roller over the summer, I got some kind of red spiked ball too. I never used the ball because I haven't a notion what to do with it.

I use the roller most mornings and nights and within half an hour of most runs & cycles. I only hop on it for about a minute each time and just do the backs of my legs.

My main problems are ankle and calf injuries.

Is it possible to use the ball or roller around my foot?

Should I be targeting other areas?

Should I be doing long sessions on it?

The base of the foot is where many of your calf muscles attach into and as such working here can be very useful for muscle tightness within the calves.

With regards ankle issues proprioceptive work (i.e balance work) can be very useful for sensory feedback and can play a role in injury prevention long term (especially with a history of ankle sprains)

Depending on whether you hold it in a particular spot for the min I would say increase frequency rather than duration (i.e hold for 30-40 seconds multiple times rather than holding for longer) to prevent necrosis within the muscle cells

Glute medius ( muscles just slightly behind the head of your femur) can cause pronation in the foot which can create issues within the calf muscles (posterior tibialis which can be felt deep in your calf)

Advertisement