Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch smelling still after replacement - Audi A4 B6 AWX

Options
  • 08-11-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks,
    Originally clutch was slipping at 163K miles and replaced with new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and Dual Mass Flywheel. It's 2003 A4 5 Speed 130bhp with a AWX engine.

After 3 weeks my wife noticed a smell of the clutch. Then 2 weeks later while she was driving in traffic it started smoking. I wasn't sure if it was my wife's driving style or something else. It gradually got worse and a judder appeared when accelerating.

I have replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and bearing again. My wife refuses to drive it. Now just after 120 miles it's started to smell again. I notice a judder when accelerating between 45-55mph in fifth.

Could it be that I have got a wrong clutch kit twice? Is there something else which could be causing this? It's supposed to be a Sachs clutch kit.

I may have been supplied an AVF kit originally, could this be the issue?

Also the clutch engages about half way from the top and really only fully breaks drive an inch or so from the bottom. All this said I don't have any problem putting into first or reverse.

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

A perfectly good clutch can smoke under arduous conditions - e.g. repeated hill starts. Not necessarily a symptom of a fault.

If there were no other problems, I wouldn't associate a judder when accelerating with a clutch problem unless it judders only when your are changing gear.

Your previous clutch slipped, so I presume you would recognize the symptoms again and we can take it that the new clutch fully engages.

The fact that you have no trouble with 1st & reverse implies it is disengaging properly. When starting from rest, does the clutch engage without judder?

I had DMF problems with a Passat. This gave a lot of vibration, but mostly at low speed. Is your judder happening at a particular rev range or only at a particular speed?

I'm sorry I don't have any answers - just thinking through the problem, but I am wondering if your judder might not be related to the clutch job.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

What does the clutch pedal feel like when pressing it? It could be an issue in the hydraulic circuit for the slave cylinder as I would find it highly unlikely that two clutch kits could be incorrect. I dont recall if there is a spigot bearing fitted to the engine side (where the input shaft sits into) though if there is, this culd be worn or not turning, and you would get noise and possibly smoke as the shaft turns against teh seized bearing.

Advertisement