Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobseekers payment

Options
  • 08-11-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi, looking for advice. i applied for jobseekers allowance in october. got a letter last wk saying i wasnt entitled to anything as my husband is working. got another letter dated 4th nov saying im entitled to payment and it will be in post office on 7th nov. so i go to collect and there is nothing there. this happened to me earlier this year as well. when i went in to social they told me it was a mistake and id get nothing. should the second letter not supercede the first. feeling frustrated, what should i do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sorry OP. Although there may very well be a legal issue here, there are few lawyers who know much about this area of law.

For this reason, I am going to move the thread to the State Benefits forum, where I hope that you will get the advice that you need.

Please note that the State Benefits forum charter will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jobseeker's Allowance is means-tested, your husband's income is probably why you can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 amysangel

coylemj wrote: »
    Jobseeker's Allowance is means-tested, your husband's income is probably why you can't get it.

yes i know its means tested but one deciding officer sent letter stating i was entitled to nothing,dated 29th october. then a different one sent letter saying i was entitled to payment dated 4th nov. the latter supercedes the first one, so as far as i am concerned i am entitled to a payment. how do i get through to social, they will try to fob me off yet again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What did the means statement that you got say your weekly means were?

mp22 wrote: »
    What did the means statement that you got say your weekly means were?

424euro my husbands means are. then the second letter used this amount to calculate my weekly rate as follows:
    personal rate 188
    child depentants increase 59.60
    less means 424
    weekly rate is 176.40
    thats how it appeared in the letter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

amysangel wrote: »
    424euro my husbands means are. then the second letter used this amount to calculate my weekly rate as follows:
    personal rate 188
    child depentants increase 59.60
    less means 424
    weekly rate is 176.40
    thats how it appeared in the letter

Is there a minus in front of that 176.40?

Either way supercedeing does not come into it. You are either entitled or not. From what you've described you are not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

From the figures you have supplied, your means are so high you wouldn't be entitled to a payment. Perhaps they have opened a Jobseeker's credits claim for you and this is the second letter? You will need to check with the office. Bring both letters you received if needs be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

the letter said i wish to inform you that u are entitled to jobseekers allowance. there was no minus sign in front of 176.40. why would they say the payment would be in post office if i am entitled to nothing. yes i will go in to office and ask them. fis is calculated differently from jobseekers so i dont think il get that either, but il look in to it

the letter said i wish to inform you that u are entitled to jobseekers allowance. there was no minus sign in front of 176.40. why would they say the payment would be in post office if i am entitled to nothing. yes i will go in to office and ask them. fis is calculated differently from jobseekers so i dont think il get that either, but il look in to it

Does the letter look auto generated? Sometimes the wrong button is clicked and a letter gets sent accidentally.

I don't think its a coincidence that if you take 424 from 188+59.6 that you get minus 176.40.

• Advertisement

Does the letter look auto generated? Sometimes the wrong button is clicked and a letter gets sent accidentally.

I don't think its a coincidence that if you take 424 from 188+59.6 that you get minus 176.40.

the details in it would have to have been manualy put in. the deciding officers name is at the bottom so she issued it. im in a catch 22 situation. i had an accident in 2006 and lets just say i would not wish my injuries or the pain i went through on anyone. got illness benefit for two years, then social called me for assessment. was told i was fit to work. i then applied for jobseekers allowance and got it at reduced rate. did a year long course last year which finished in may 2014. then reapplied for js allowance in june. was told i couldnt get it. its hard to get work due to my injuries, as soon as u mention it its a no. as i am not getting a payment i cant apply for training, and cant afford a childminder.

You're making assumptions there about the info having to be entered. You don't know that that's the case.

You're making assumptions there about the info having to be entered. You don't know that that's the case.

and u dont know either, u dont have the letter in front of you. u are assuming its automated..im not looking for advice about the letter.

and u dont know either, u dont have the letter in front of you. u are assuming its automated..im not looking for advice about the letter.

I'm familiar with the letter and I'm not advising about the letter other than to let you know that it doesn't supersede anything. It was issued in error.

I'm familiar with the letter and I'm not advising about the letter other than to let you know that it doesn't supersede anything. It was issued in error.

do u work for social welfare. time will tell i guess. i will have to contact the revelant people and go from there. really only they can explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Amysangel... I think you've got good advice and explanations here.

You are entitled to zero. And some people here do work for social welfare.

Look at FIS if you can.

myshirt wrote: »
    Amysangel... I think you've got good advice and explanations here.

You are entitled to zero. And some people here do work for social welfare.

Look at FIS if you can.

if u say so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

if u say so

You are definitely entitled to zero.
    In fact you may owe money.

Just wait to see what way it works out for
    you.... talk to welfare... post back how you get on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Mod Note:
    amysangel Posters here are just trying to advise you on the information you have supplied. Do not ask anyone on this forum if they work for Social Welfare. Any posters here (even if they do work for Social Welfare) are not posting in an official capacity, and are just trying to advise as best they can.
    Also, txt spk is not allowed on this forum as it can make posts difficult to read. Please refrain from using it in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement