Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus or Hyundai i30

Options
  • 08-11-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi All,

I posted here a good while ago asking for some car advice and got a great response so hopefully you impart your wisdom again.

I'm looking at trading in my old 2005 fiesta 1.25 petrol (65k miles on it) for something newer.

At the moment I've narrowed it down to two cars and was just wondering what your thoughts are.

They're both priced at €14,950. It's a choice between a:

- 2012 Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI Bluedrive (5 door) new model with 30k miles on it or a

- ford focus 1.6 TDCI 115PS 5 door zetec (5 door) with 57k miles on it.

Any feedback on which one might be better over the other or whether there could be something else that you'd recommend? I'm aware that they're very similar. My own preference is the Hyundai but that's based on looks.

Also, do you know roughly what I can expect as a trade in on my old fiesta? It's a basic model. No A/C or any extras like that.

All info is hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Hyundai has the better engine. Not really a massive fan of the current focus looks and interior-wise so I'd go with the i30.
    The a Kia Ceed is basically the same thing as the i30, there can be spec differences though.

Your fiesta is reasonably low miles for 9 years old. Do you do much driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd try and sell the Fiesta privately, with low mileage it would appeal to a first time buyer/driver. Trading it into a main dealer it will probably have a very low value as they generally do not retail cars of that age and will sell it onto the trade/smaller dealers. You will also get a better deal on the i30 or Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just 65k on your 9 year old Fiesta?

Then,

DO NOT BUY A DIESEL.

Your annual small mileage does not warrant a diesel, just keep with petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If things have changed and you will be doing long drives such as a lot of motorway then diesel would be ok but do not buy a diesel just because you see cheap tax as a selling point.

If you are city driving nd short journeys then petrol all the way as repair bills will be huge on a diesel as they are designed for big miles.

Dpf problems, injectors, dmf etc etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

115bhp 1.6 TDCI engine is a very good one. It's rare in Ireland though.

I'm running one currently and it's quiet, smooth, very economical on longer runs, and has plenty of power when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

115bhp 1.6 TDCI engine is a very good one. It's rare in Ireland though.

I'm running one currently and it's quiet, smooth, very economical on longer runs, and has plenty of power when needed.

I also drive that Focus engine too, and find it same as you.

I'm sorry but I'd buy a Ford before the Hyundai, at least for now. Not sure why there is so much love-in for the Kia/Hyundai range at present. Still much prefer the old marques like Ford and VW. At least for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

NIMAN wrote: »
    I also drive that Focus engine too, and find it same as you.

I'm sorry but I'd buy a Ford before the Hyundai, at least for now. Not sure why there is so much love-in for the Kia/Hyundai range at present. Still much prefer the old marques like Ford and VW. At least for now.

Irish guberment bought a sh1t load so everyone thinks they must be the best thing out there.

Hyundai have gotten better over the years but I would defo like to be driving a ford over one.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭freddieot

Personally I think Hyundai \ Kia are still underrated and as more people realise exactly how good a vehicle they are, the market share will continue to grow.

I do understand why some people still prefer Ford and other more familiar brands but let me tell you why I don't :-

My Purchases, in this lifetime and the associated problems with each

Datsun (now Nissan) 120 Coupe 1878 : Bought 2 years old, went on fire., new clutch.
    Renault 20 : Bought 3 years old : Headlights, clutch, gearbox, all gone within 2 more years : sold for scrap.
    Mitsubishi Lancer 1989 : Bought 3 years old: Gearbox oil leaks that would not go away, power steering problem, clutch : All within one year.

Fed up with second hand car issues so decided to try new cars.....

Ford Orion 1990 : new .Kept for 3 years 50k. New clutch, new battery, new exhaust, conked out for no reason on Quays - wiring issue.

Ford Orion 1993:Kept for 3 years : No real improvement here : New battery, issues for high beam selection, problem with electric window.

Ford Mondeo 1996 : Kept for 4 years : New exhaust, problems with electric mirrors, central locking, stitching coming apart on driver seat.

Volvo S40 T4 : 2000 : Kept for 2 years only. : Light bulbs kept blowing, air intake issues, radio stopped working after 6 months, heater stopped working.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 : Kept 6 years : no problems whatsoever, i.e. NOTHING.

Kia Sorento 07 : Kept for 5 years : no problems whatsoever, i.e. NOTHING.

Kia Sorento 12 : Still have it : no problems whatsoever, i.e. NOTHING.

That's why I think they are better than many more 'mainstream cars' but I know those who have not had many problem with other brands will stick with them no matter how popular hyuindai \ Kia actually become. Personally I would never buy a Ford again.

So you're saying that Hyundai and Kia have been making good cars for over a decade now?

Perhaps they have, but wondering why they have only recently been getting touted as good cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

mullingar wrote: »

Then,

DO NOT BUY A DIESEL.

Good luck finding a petrol in the diesel crazed Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd have the current Hyundai i30 over the Focus too. The new i30 is a very good car and is easily on par with the focus in terms of driving dynamics whilst also being a better looking car imo.

I'd also wager that the Hyundai will be the more reliable of the 2 in the long term.

mullingar wrote: »

Then,

DO NOT BUY A DIESEL.

Sorry but how do you know that their annual mileage does not warrant a diesel? If a lot of their annual mileage is done on open road or motorway I fail to see the problem.

But If a lot of it is stop start driving then fair enough you have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The interior of the focus feels like a cheaper version of the i30 too.

The interior of the focus feels like a cheaper version of the i30 too.

Which i30 though? Surely if you buy a basic i30 model you get a basic interior too?
    Or are you saying all i30's have great interiors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Did you ever sell your Focus NIMAN?

Did you ever sell your Focus NIMAN?

No, still driving it. Spent a bit of money on the house over the last4 or 5 months, so not trying too hard to sell. Was on the verge of trading it in about 6 weeks ago, then got some tarmacing done instead!

Maybe try again in the new year, car running fine for now so no panic about changing. You think I should look at an i30;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

NIMAN wrote:
    Maybe try again in the new year, car running fine for now so no panic about changing. You think I should look at an i30

Oh ya defo, far superior ;)

How can anyone say that this interior:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1123696&r=s.php%3Fm[]%3D26%26o[]%3D253%26f%3D2%26yn%3D2014%26yx%3D2014%26g%3D0

is far inferior to this one:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1151037&r=s.php%3Fm[]%3D34%26o[]%3D1286%26f%3D2%26yn%3D2014%26yx%3D2014%26g%3D0

Am I missing something. For me the i30 looks dated. OK so the Focus dash is an acquired taste but I still prefer it.

Which i30 though? Surely if you buy a basic i30 model you get a basic interior too?
    Or are you saying all i30's have great interiors?

The fit and finish on the i30's interior has been lauded by motoring journalists and even by the head of VW. Having been in one I have to agree. There are some cheap plastics used on the focus in certain areas, like on the door cards, which I think is actually plain to see in the link you provided above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Whats the better choice between the ceed and i30?

• Advertisement

The base model ceed is very very basic, you have to get the EX model to get alloys, rear elec wins etc. so AFAIK, if you want a mid spec or high spec then the hyundai is better, but the kia has a lower starting price

Or something

I think the kia looks nicer, but they're very similar.

EDIT: scratch that, there's a paddy spec 1.4 oetrol i30 that undercuts the ceed, making everything above untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The base model ceed is very very basic, you have to get the EX model to get alloys, rear elec wins etc. so AFAIK, if you want a mid spec or high spec then the hyundai is better, but the kia has a lower starting price

Or something

I think the kia looks nicer, but they're very similar.

EDIT: scratch that, there's a paddy spec 1.4 oetrol i30 that undercuts the ceed, making everything above untrue.
    I think myself the seed is a better buy in lots of ways. Ive an older aunt currently in a poverty spec Corolla getting notions about buying a 151 ceed. My pick of that segment would be the Nissan Pulsar if I'm honest and their base spec isn't too bad.

If you're doing small mileage, the 7 year limited warranty is good, if you do lots the hyundai 5 year unlimited mileage would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

How can anyone say that this interior:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1123696&r=s.php%3Fm[]%3D26%26o[]%3D253%26f%3D2%26yn%3D2014%26yx%3D2014%26g%3D0

is far inferior to this one:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1151037&r=s.php%3Fm[]%3D34%26o[]%3D1286%26f%3D2%26yn%3D2014%26yx%3D2014%26g%3D0

Am I missing something. For me the i30 looks dated. OK so the Focus dash is an acquired taste but I still prefer it.

The quality of the materials is where the difference is, Ford have definitely been keeping costs down on the interior. Overall there would not be a huge amount between the cars, both are nice to drive but the Hyundai is a little bit better built.

Looks are subjective but I think the i30 was a nice design and was probably a high point in Hyundai's car designs, the next generation will be more bland.

Advertisement