Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish exemption

Options
  • 08-11-2014 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I came to Ireland at the age of 10. When I started primary school in 4th class I struggled in speaking English and has not been able to do Irish at the same time as I had to learn English first and had received extra English classes by the primary school. Whenever the kids in my class were doing Irish I was doing extra English. When I was applying for secondary school , the primary school said they would provide an exemption but I have never received it so I was forced in doing Irish from scratch in first year, that has also affected in my results later on in the junior certificate.

I have done Junior Cert and have received a C in Ordinary level Irish. As it's my only ordinary subject in my leaving cert I wants to drop it and do classical studies , which is provided to everyone who dont do Irish.I am currently in 5th year and need to have something done about it as I could miss most of the classical studies course.

I have talked to my school and the school said they need official documents to exclude me from Irish and told me to contact the Department of Education and skills,
    I have also got an exemption from NUI but the school is is trying to force me to do Irish,
    I have sent the exact text above to department of education do you think I could possibly get an exemption? Please let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I doubt it, since you got a C in the Junior and you don't have any disability.
    You won't need the mark for entry to NUI courses, but you will probably have to attend the classes.
    It depends on your circumstances - get the documents the Department want and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nikita B

Right thanks very much , we will see how it would end up after Monday since department doesn't work on weekends..

Advertisement