Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being targeted and picked at work

Options
  • 07-11-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Been working for small company for nearly 10y now,just after doing leaving cert.All was well up until recession hit,had huge downsize,have to do 2-3 peoples work most days now.its Manual job so if it wasn't for daily abuse and being picked on for any mistakes i would not complain.

So heres the troubles im facing,basically there isn't single day i wouldn't be picked on (as blamed) for something by the other staff,given thou that most times its not even in my department,but yet due to lack of people, i have to do it.

Second issue other staff are related in one way or another to the owner,that even if im right they can easily go complain to the owner,to put me at fault.

And lastly owner himself,for some twisted reason always finds reasons to blame me for something-that comes a lot with being called stupid,cursed at,telling to F off,and doing work on the side for him even thou i might be busy at my work,he would call me to do something for him,thus making my work fall behind,since he feels that he is owner that everyone is at his disposal anytime he wishes.

Even thou im not a pushover,and had couple instances where i disagreed with him and pointed out that he is wrong,only got shouting and verbal abuse,so let him had his high ground.

this has been lasting good few years now,and everyday i bring all that hatred back home,not to mention tool it takes on me emotionally,most days i wish i was just sick that i wouldn't need to wake up for another work day,as even thoughts of going in makes my sick and anxiety is trough the roof,as everyday i wait for that moment to be blamed or insulted because someone thinks they are above me.

Only reason i managed to last so long is usual need to pay bills,food,rent and given that i lack any qualifications im bound to this misery.

I wish i could do jobbride or something to gain qualification in some field given that i would sacrifice my wages for half of it just to learn something that might lead to better job,but currently there is no chance that they would sack or fire me.only hope i have is small savings that could last me couple months if needed,but don't want to use them as i know i would be broke in months time or so.

but in all honesty im at the point where Christmas is coming and i know workload will increase exponentially,and those thoughts alone keep me awake at night now-since im basically too depressed to do anything but,take the crap thrown at me,swallow my pride and, i know i will snap if it continues like that.

So need advice,what can i expect if i just don't show up one day and ignore my employer all together,would it be an issue getting p45 form,as i would be at least trying to find some job,while waiting to be signed on the dole if need be.
    As this toxic environment is destroying my relationship with everyone around me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP, I advise that, if you cant get any satisfaction from HR or your union, go straight to your doctor and tell him or her exactly what you are going through with the unfair blame at work, doing the job of 2 people, feeling sick every morning at the thought of work etc. They will sign you off sick for a few weeks. Tell your manager (or leave a message if you are not up to it) stating that due to your treatment at work you are off sick for a few weeks maybe more and you are seeking the advice or NERA National Employment Rights Association going forward then leave the ball in their court. If they are any good they wont want a constructive dismissal case on their hands and will try and reach out to you for a meeting etc.

If they dont care either way, seek the advice of a solicitor as they will know more with regards your reference and P45 etc then you can move on and do a course or try for a Jobbridge if you are on social welfare for 3 months etc. OP, that job just isnt worth it, you only have one life dont waste it in such a toxic place. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Op, qualifications only get you in the door of a job.

If you have 10 years of experience in a certain industry, other companies in that field will consider your application.

Advertisement