Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medals found outside of TCD

Options
  • 07-11-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

Hey so I was on my way home when I came across these medals on the ground outside the Lincoln Gate entrance to TCD. The name on them is James Mulvey and the number is 836323. If anyone here recognises them or knows who they belong to, I've dropped them into Pearse St Garda station.
    Also on a side-note, if anyone can tell what the medals are for that'd be cool.

http://imgur.com/a/Qv1Wv

Saw this on Reddit, thought it'd be worth posting here since you lot are more likely to know something, who to contact to find owner etc.

Link to Reddit post - http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/2lly11/lost_irish_army_medals_found_outside_tcd/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rustymetal

From some quick research the first is DF good conduct medal the second on the left is an RDF medal the next two are UN service medals awarded for serving on a UN mission. Havent found the last one yet. The 21 should indicates 21 years of service. Think that last one is an Irish army veterans medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rustymetal

You can try and contact these guys for the owner. http:// oneconnect.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

There are a few issues with these medals as the bars are wrong I think.

Medals from Left to Right
    PDF Service medal (not a good conduct medal). Depending on rank, could be a 15 year NCO/Pte medal or 20 yr officers medal - due to the lower bar. The upper bar, with 21 on it, is not supposed to be worn with this medal.

RDF Service medal with 21 year service bar - it is missing the 12 year bar which it should have.

UN Peacekeepers medal - Awarded to anyone who serves on an Irish UN peacekeeping mission

UNIFIL mission medal. The "2" means that the wearer has completed 2 UNIFIL missions

ONE Medal - Don't know my ONE (Organisation of National Ex-Servicemen) medals that well but I think it is an ONE 3yr Service medal. 2 bars on it could mean anything - it is a veterans organisation that awards its own medals so not part of the standard army award system.

As for who they belong to, contact ONE - http://oneconnect.ie/
    They should have records of James Mulvey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Popeyede

Thanks Doc I was about to post the very info myself.

I have my doubts as to this mans entitlement to wear those medals.

Why are ONE not policing this kinda stuff amongst their members.

There is nothing more disgraceful than wearing medals that you are not entitled too and it is even more disgraceful to buy a medal.

It lessens the service of those who serve with honesty.

And this isn't a bad example there is a guy with ONE with a chest of bull.

This is one of the reasons there are now so many organisations for ex service people.

The UN vets don't want to stand beside sandbaggers & bluffers.
    The IDFV want the sandbaggers to be placed on the same level as the PDF.
    The 5th Association just don't want to deal with bluffers, cluchies or anyone really!

Even if you just served a day, thank you for honour of your service now in retirement don't dishonour that service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

836323 is a PDF service number. For this guy to have 21 years service in the PDF and RDF is eh not common I would think. I'm not sure how possible it is either tbh.

Il check this guy out on Monday and should be able to contact him to let him know where his medals are.

Cheers OP.

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware he has been located and informed.

This post encouraged a look up some of the images available of members of ONE and other groups of various shams covered in medals.

It's an absolute disgrace that the practise of wearing official medals so badly and even worse the practise of wearing medals you wear not awarded.

If you do purchase a medal from an association in solidarity or put of charity could you not wear it on the right do as distinguish them from something you actually earned.

This link might interest any here:

On military.ie

fileadmin/user_upload/images/Info_Centre/documents/Df_Medals_2010.pdf

Well presented and laid out it is a credit to the people involved in its production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Not worth starting a new thread over, but on a broadly similar vein.

A WW1 memorial was recently put up in a town near me, and one of the attendees at the unveiling was wearing his fathers medals over his normal clothes.

I have no experience in any military protocol, but it just seems a bit off. Whatever about owning them, is it acceptable to wear someone else's medals, even if they are a relatives?

Also do you have to wear them only with military dress, or could you have them on your civvies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

short answer is that they can be worn. Protocol is to wear them on the right instead of on the left. Civvies are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Doctor14 wrote: »
    There are a few issues with these medals as the bars are wrong I think.

Medals from Left to Right
    PDF Service medal (not a good conduct medal). Depending on rank, could be a 15 year NCO/Pte medal or 20 yr officers medal - due to the lower bar. The upper bar, with 21 on it, is not supposed to be worn with this medal.

There was an amendment to Para 19 of A9 New Series in Jan of 2012 that authorises the second bar for the service medal.
    40460Kt.jpg
    Can be seen worn by a number of persons here.

836323 is a PDF service number. For this guy to have 21 years service in the PDF and RDF is eh not common I would think. I'm not sure how possible it is either tbh.

Il check this guy out on Monday and should be able to contact him to let him know where his medals are.

Cheers OP.

Yeah, I can't see how you would have 21 done in both. If he went in at 17, signed on continuation of service to 21, then discharged and joined the FCA. He would be 38 at that stage. Unless he is counting his FLR time?

Not worth starting a new thread over, but on a broadly similar vein.

A WW1 memorial was recently put up in a town near me, and one of the attendees at the unveiling was wearing his fathers medals over his normal clothes.

I have no experience in any military protocol, but it just seems a bit off. Whatever about owning them, is it acceptable to wear someone else's medals, even if they are a relatives?

Also do you have to wear them only with military dress, or could you have them on your civvies?
    Beano wrote: »
    short answer is that they can be worn. Protocol is to wear them on the right instead of on the left. Civvies are fine.

No, absolutely not. You wear it/them if you are the next of kin and it/they were awarded to you posthumously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

There was an amendment to Para 19 of A9 New Series in Jan of 2012 that authorises the second bar for the service medal.
    40460Kt.jpg
    Can be seen worn by a number of persons here.

Yeah, I can't see how you would have 21 done in both. If he went in at 17, signed on continuation of service to 21, then discharged and joined the FCA. He would be 38 at that stage. Unless he is counting his FLR time?

No, absolutely not. You wear it/them if you are the next of kin and it/they were awarded to you posthumously.

Read what was asked again.
    his fathers medals
    is it acceptable to wear someone else's medals, even if they are a relatives?

I think that qualifies as next of kin. Obviously i was not suggesting that you can wear some randomers medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jaysus Cpl Jim Mulvey ex 2 battalion.. He was my first section commander in recruit training (49th recruit platoon, 2Bn. Dec 1985).

So far as I can recall he retired a Cpl.. He was a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

My bad, don't have up to date info
    Beano wrote: »
    Nope, they can't. From "Medals of the Defence Forces 2010"

Family Members
    Contrary to popular belief, next of kin should not wear the medals of a deceased family member. Medals are decorations awarded to individuals in recognition of specific acts and service and should only be worn by the individual to whom awarded. The exception to the above is when the medal is awarded posthumously. Family members of deceased members of the Defence Forces should only wear the following medals when the decoration is presented directly to the next of kin.

The Military Medal for Gallantry
    The Distinguished Service Medal
    The Military Star
    The Service Medal
    The United Nations Peacekeeping Medal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Since this was a WW1 memorial I'd imagine the medals were British Army ones (the man was quite old, so the time scale makes sense). Are there different rules for British Army medals that allow next of kin to wear them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

As a retired soldier I would be uncomfortable wearing my Army/UN Medals (Peace Medal, Long Service Medal, Cyprus, Lebanon, etc) in public. The few times I did, I noted the very sight of Military Medals seemed to bring out the worst in some people, albeit a few, but enough to put me off wearing them again.
    Maybe I'm too thin skinned, but listening to insults like 'lucky bag medals' (and that's just a polite example) prompts me to keep them in the drawer.

Advertisement