Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

thoughts on ford 1.0 ecoboost engine

Options
  • 07-11-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Are these any good? Am I right in thinking of this as a 1.6 petrol in old currency, albeit with lower emissions.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes they are very good indeed. They have the power of a decent older 1.6 (up to 140bhp) and are highly efficient when driven gently.

They also sound quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Is there any additional cause for concern over reliability of these over the previous generation of petrol 1.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are not out that long and are very rare on Irish roads so it's hard to gauge reliability at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

Yes they are very good indeed. They have the power of a decent older 1.6 (up to 140bhp) and are highly efficient when driven gently.

They also sound quite good.

Can you tell me what the torque is like on these? Do they come in 6 speed?

Do people think these will catch on in the diesel crazed Irish market? I've already gotten the "resale will be poor on this" story from the ford dealer. I was actually quite shocked, I was expecting him to be singing its praises but he spent whole time trying to convince me to go diesel even though I said I want petrol. I bought diesel last time purely for resale concerns and to be honest the resale value is no different than my pervious 1.6 petrol.

I notice the new Mondeo is diesel only in Ireland while the Uk has 1.6 lire 140bhp ecoboost.

Edit gives me a blank screen. What I mean to say above obviously is do they come complemented with a 6 speed gearbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes they are really good. Have got lots of good reviews from all the car mags and can be got in the Fiesta right up to the new Mondeo. I think it should be very reliable as long as you dont go around thrashing it all the time otherwise you might blow the turbo early then lol. Ford done a lot of testing on this engine before realising it to be sold in there cars last thing they want is a bad reputation for one of there engine. Not sure what it would be like to live with but if you mind it and service it ike any other cr am sure it would go for many years.

As for Ford dealers in Ireland of late well thats a different story.
    the Dad was in to get his C-Max serviced not so long ago and they tried to tell him that there was about 11thosand small problems with tha car from worn bushings to suspension bearings and so on. Utter bull**** as the car rides and handles as good as the first day he got it. Then when he was looking at a Kuga thinking of buying one the dealers said it did not suit him it made him look small.
    Am kinda glad do as I don,t see any point driving them SUVs unless you really need one otherwise they are just silly.
    As for will he be driving another Ford or not when he changes I don,t know a pity as he is currently on his 3rd one in a row. He said he is gona look at other markes/makes and see what he likes and what deals he can get.

Dealers will really put you off. I'm on my 2nd Ford but also looking around for something else. Only thing I'd say, if you are buying brand new, is that they have really upped their game with the interior in the new facelift focus and the new Mondeo. Got to sit in a zetec and it was very classy. Germanic as they say. This coupled with a great performing yet frugal petrol engine and i'm very strongly drawn back to them. Dealers need a good slap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have also considered this engine as I plan to change up from a 1.6 TDCi Focus.

My car drives 50 miles per day for 5 days, all in top gear. I was wondering if I would get good economy out of the 1.0 Eco engine, as I have read reviews slating these small petrol engines (and the 1.2 VW one too) saying that you have to rev them more due to their size and as a result the claimed mpg is nonsense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have also considered this engine as I plan to change up from a 1.6 TDCi Focus.

My car drives 50 miles per day for 5 days, all in top gear. I was wondering if I would get good economy out of the 1.0 Eco engine, as I have read reviews slating these small petrol engines (and the 1.2 VW one too) saying that you have to rev them more due to their size and as a result the claimed mpg is nonsense.

All claimed mpg is fantasy stuff.

The 1.0T Ecoboost will give very good mpg if driven with restraint. It'll never quite make diesel levels of economy.

The 125bhp version does 90mph in top gear at 3000rpm, which is remarkable for such a small capacity engine.

Fiestas are all 5 speed, with 6 speed options available in the Focus.

The engine is flexible enough that 5 gears are plenty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement