Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I convert to percentage?

Options
  • 07-11-2014 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I have a small question. I have my leaving certificate and I have 120 points. How can I convert the 120 points to a percentage?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Received result over total possible result, multiplied by a hundred.

So for you it would be 120/625 x 100 which is 19.2%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Frigating wrote: »
    Received result over total possible result, multiplied by a hundred.

So for you it would be 120/625 x 100 which is 19.2%

Thank you very much for this. I appreciate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

625 would be if you did HL Maths, otherwise it's 600.
    Did you do OL subjects? The maximum for them would be different too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

spurious wrote: »
    625 would be if you did HL Maths, otherwise it's 600.
    Did you do OL subjects? The maximum for them would be different too.

625 is still the total possible. That's like saying 360 is the max you could have gotten if you did all ordinary level subjects. The larger number needs to be the max available not the max you could have gotten in the easier exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You have completed the Leaving Cert. course, and cannot do percentages? Can you name the school you attended?

Serious reply, btw.

However, interesting how people approach things differently, I would have divided 625 by 100, giving 6.25, (1% of total) and then divided 120 by 6.25.
    Just the teaching method in the 70's, I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a strange request for any college to make, without knowing what levels the person took.

Mind you, nothing surprises me these days about education and silly requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Keelsean

Simplest, easiest and quickest way that works for conversions in percentage, currency, weights or any other recipe –
    Write down like terms over like with the amount you want to find as a ? or x, 'squeeze' the equal signs together into one – visually of course – and treat this as two equal fractions and cross-multiply ...

so if you had 625 pioints as the full amount and wanted to find what percentage 120 of 625 is then you'd
    write –
    625points = 100%
    120 points = ? ... so 'like' terms over 'like'

you can now lose all the signs for simplicity sake as were looking for %, so answer will be in % once you've written 'like' terms over 'like' ...

625 = 100
    120 = ?
    squeeze the equals together into the middle(as if it's now two equal fractions), and cross multiply to get the ? (unknown) on it's own against everything else

so now it's
    ? = 100x120÷625 = 19.2 ... and that's %

Have a look here, copy and paste into address to see video explaining it – youtu.be/9-3qs3Sh9a4

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The OP is in his mid 20s now, you’re grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The OP is in his mid 20s now, you’re grand.

He's probably moved on to fractions by now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement