Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Licensing Options

Options
  • 07-11-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Totally new to all this, so bear with me.

We’re a small company with around 35 employees. I’ve been tasked with upgrading 20 laptops to windows 8.1. All computers are currently using OEM versions of Windows 7 pro.

We cannot legally purchase and use OEM licenses for this, correct?

Say we have purchased 5 windows 8.1 licenses purchased through volume licensing, can I re-image a new computer with a windows 8.1 OEM license without consuming one of the 5?

Anyone have any recommendations for microsoft licensing partners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Licensing is a pain so I'm open to correction also!
    Tillotson wrote: »
    We cannot legally purchase and use OEM licenses for this, correct?

Correct.
    Say we have purchased 5 windows 8.1 licenses purchased through volume licensing, can I re-image a new computer with a windows 8.1 OEM license without consuming one of the 5?

I'm not sure what you mean. Where are you getting the Windows 8.1 OEM license? A new machine?
    Anyone have any recommendations for microsoft licensing partners?

Micromail. No affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

35 is small enough that it's not really worth bothering with volume licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

OEM is only for new machines,comes and dies with the equipment.
    You cant purchase OEM licenses for OS unless you are an OEM partner.
    Not sure how you get the OEM for 8.1 but you can install one OS on one laptop and do not activate it for 30 days,to allow you to test it.Once the software activated,you "lose" one seat.Microsoft calls them seats or CALS.

VLK works better for you.
    Some plans allows you to pay over a number of years or pay a once off.

Try to get Windows 8.1 upgrade from Windows 7. May work better costwise but my advise is to not do an in place upgrade but rather new installation.
    Pay attention to the fact that if you have a version you have to buy upgrade to same version,ie Professional to Professional.

I know few local suppliers but they dont deal with end users only with trade accounts.Not sure about Micromail in Cork,there is Micro Warehouse in Dublin that i mostly use for software licensing.

I can send you a quote via PM for all options of the software.

And,35 users is not too small for anything...

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We use http://www.micromail.com/ for most of our software licensing. They know what they're doing and are very easy to deal with

Advertisement