Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon after effects

Options
  • 07-11-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not looking for medical advice!!!

I'm interested in hearing how everyone felt in the aftermath of the marathon. Here's my experience of previous marathons:

• DCM '83 - can't remember, but I didn't run another one for 25 years
    • DCM '08 - physically and mentally smashed, legs seized up during the race and stayed that way for days
    • DCM '09 - legs sore afterwards and stiff for a few days
    • Edinburgh '10 - legs a bit sore afterwards, followed by struggling down the stairs.
    • Edinburgh '11 - pretty similar to '10
    • London '13 - I can't actually remember!
    • Cork '13 - legs a bit tight, better than previously
    • Cork '14 - very little post-race soreness, but suffered from sudden and extreme tiredness about 4 days post race
    • DCM '14 - very slightly tender right calf, no soreness or stiffness, but again a feeling of being absolutely drained occurred suddenly 3-4 days post race and persisted for about a week.
    I'm thinking of Rotterdam, and I'll happily take being knackered if it means a good time, but I want to cover every possible avenue for a fast time. I'm considering the possibility that the tiredness was down to some sort of immune system thing. Has anyone else found they were better or worse with increasing experience?

Thanks,

aero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I seem to be recovering faster after each marathon, in terms of muscle soreness and flexibility, probably because I was better trained going into each one. But generally tired, yes, and a head cold on and off for about a week starting a few days after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »
    I seem to be recovering faster after each marathon, in terms of muscle soreness and flexibility, probably because I was better trained going into each one.

That, and that's mentally as well as physically.

After my first marathon I swore never to run another step, and while I did not entirely stick to that I did not run for 3 or 4 months afterwards.

After DCM this year I happily went out for a 5 mile recovery run less than 20 hours later. And felt good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I remember reading that a marathon lays your immune system low for a while. Got a cold myself this week that is just about gone thankfully which I've blamed on the after effects of Frankfurt as I tend not to get such things normally.

Otherwise I don't really suffer that much from sore muscles, tiredness etc which probably means I'm not neally trying hard enough :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

RayCun wrote: »
    ... probably because I was better trained going into each one.

That's definitely the case with me. I used to have to lie down for a while after a 10 mile run, and even when I went sub 3 for the first time I did have a nap after my weekend long runs. I recover much quicker now.
    That, and that's mentally as well as physically.

The mental effort of training for and running in a marathon is not to be underestimated.
    opus wrote: »
    ...which probably means I'm not really trying hard enough :o

I often feel the same.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My legs are always completely ruined after a marathon. Was surprised that it didn't make any difference when I was pacmaking one either, the legs were still practically useless for days afterwards.

What was more surprising though was after doing a marathon that finished at the top of an Alp where completing the last mile in 30'ish minutes is considered fast, the next day the legs were still unable to make it down the stairs in the hotel to breakfast...but a couple of hours later I was able to persuade them to relatively successfully run a sub 1:30 half marathon. It was really tough to get the running action started, but once I was moving it felt like I could carry on going forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I had a severe bout of depression for about 3 weeks after Cork Marathon this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Yeah definitely takes a bite. Although when you have a good race I think you recover more quickly (or at least that's the way it seems).
    Did a bit of a session on the spin bike in the gym on the Friday after the marathon and it was horrendous. Heart rate sky high very quickly, sweating buckets and couldn't get near the Wattage id normally hit. Has been slowly improving since then and I'm starting to feel back to myself again. Have been sleeping 9/10 hours solid every night since the marathon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

After any race my immune system gets run down. It so bad 2 years back that I got sick after 10 races in a row 7-10 days post race. I am still suffering after going back training hard post rotherdam. I don't know if its mental or what but I am just feeling worn out. It effects my sleep and as a result I am just worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I find I have less effects after each marathon but its probably because I've trained better for each one. Had a physio rub down 4 days after my marathon last month and physio was surprised in the good condition of my legs. As always I wasn't able to walk down steps in a normal manner but after the rub down I was good as new again. I was conscious of getting run down after marathon so did up vitamin intake.

I think training better, eating better, monthly rub downs all had a big part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭plodder

robinph wrote: »
    My legs are always completely ruined after a marathon. Was surprised that it didn't make any difference when I was pacmaking one either, the legs were still practically useless for days afterwards.

What was more surprising though was after doing a marathon that finished at the top of an Alp where completing the last mile in 30'ish minutes is considered fast, the next day the legs were still unable to make it down the stairs in the hotel to breakfast...but a couple of hours later I was able to persuade them to relatively successfully run a sub 1:30 half marathon. It was really tough to get the running action started, but once I was moving it felt like I could carry on going forever.
    That's endorphins for you - or to give them their full title endogenous morphine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I destroyed myself in my first marathon, did ligament damage in my knee, and thought the associated pain and immobility was all part if it! Took me about 2-3 months to recover. I've improved recovery a lot over the years, but when I'm really pushing the boat out in a race, can take about 10-15 days to recover fully. Unlike Tunguska, I recover faster if a race hasn't gone according to plan, maybe it's the anger and disappointment that forces my mind to get back to training.

I used to find that I got severe post marathon blues after goal races when I invested a lot emotionally in training. That too has lessened, along with embracing a slightly more casual attitude to my running.

Really interesting replies, thanks.

Thinking about it a bit more, I actually felt pretty smashed in the week leading up to the marathon. I was attending a virtual training course from 7-11 am Mon-Thurs which required 5.30 am starts, so I was putting it down to a disruption in routine. One of my colleagues remarked that I was looking very tired, and my boss asked me during a teleconference (I worked from home on the Friday to save some commuting time and try to avoid any last minute bugs) if I was coming down with something as I sounded like I had a bad cold. I felt fine on race day and in fact I hardly slept for a few nights post race, I felt really energetic, but then things suddenly swung to the other extreme.

I did miss about 10 days in Aug due to a virus, and I remember in '09 I felt really under the weather for the week following an epic 23 mile run on a hot day. I think I'll have to pay more attention to minding my immune system - I usually take vitamin C in winter but it never occurred to me to take it in the summer.

The comments on mood and post-race blues really highlight the link between exercise and mental well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

This thread makes me feel so much better.

Did Dcm this year, first marathon, and I thought I'd broken my brain after it. Physically, I was expecting all the pain, tiredness, lethargy etc so that was fine, and I knew how to deal with that.
    But the mental stuff was nuts.
    I spent more than a week being extremely down, sad, and what I can only describe as 'flat'. Didn't have any interest in anything, just wanted to stay in bed all day every day.
    It's only this week that I'm starting to feel like 'me' again. Looking forward to getting back to training properly now after a handy months recovery :)

Sauve wrote: »
    ....I thought I'd broken my brain after it. ...
    But the mental stuff was nuts.

You put it so much better than me. I am feeling a lot better now as well, I'm following the P&D recovery plan and I really enjoyed yesterday's 10 miler.

I had a mad thought yesterday which ties in a bit with your comment about your broken brain. Lots of people remark on the pounding your body takes in a marathon, and slow motion video of runners, and even cyclists, shows the leg muscles flailing around as the leg changes direction, but I've never heard anyone mention anything about the brain. Does it get jiggled too, or is it just the swing in endorphin levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

aero2k wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone mention anything about the brain. Does it get jiggled too, or is it just the swing in endorphin levels?

I've hear the term "post-marathon blues" a few times. I never really had a major dip in my mood following a marathon, but it obviously does happen - see some of the responses here.

I do sometimes get a "burnt out" feeling after a goal race, especially if it follows a particularly long, hard training stint. After I first broke 3 hrs in the marathon it took me 2 years to race another one. I just could not face the training. I was fine training for other distances, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd only be getting down post marathon if I was unable to get back out and have a steady run around some other races asap. parkruns probably help in that there is no cost, no pressure to perform, but you can still feel like you are getting back into running again after the initial few days post marathon of overdosing on beer/ cake/ laziness. You also get to hang out with a bunch of other runners who are dying to chat to you about how you got on in the marathon and will know when to ooo and ahh in the right places unlike your non running buddies who will just fall asleep at the mention of a marathon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I found my mood dropped after I did my first few lsrs. My tolerance levels were also lower. I started to take an electrolyte drink after each long run and I found this helped. I did the same after DCM and I decided to take a multi-vitamin and Omega 3 tablet every day for a week after the marathon. Recovered very well except for my thighs that were in bits.

Re: people being depressed afterwards. I would find this to the case if you were overly excited/happy going into the marathon. The brain sort of balances itself out afterwards. It is a bit like being on top of the world Friday evening and then depressed Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

i think it is only natural to feel the blues after a big event. my physical recover rate is improving after 3 marathons, but this year after the marathon i went to the canaries for a few days and recovered nicely. However when i came back i did hit a blue patch and felt down for a few days. When you put so much into it and then have a few exciting things happening around it, it is only natural to have a Post marathon Blues. maybe its a cause for people to continue to do marathon, it does become addictive.
    maybe the best solution is just to do a marathon without putting too much of an effort or try and not make it the most important thing or get to worked up about it.
    I put a lot into DCM as i have never done it before and have being trying to do it for the last 4 year. failed 3 timesbecause of various injuries. So i became a bit obsessed with running DCM this year , probably pissed of my wife who had to put up with my bad moods especially when i nearly missed out again due to an injury less that 6 weeks from DCM this year. Maybe the best thing is to treat any marathon as a normal race, and remember it is an achievement just to finished and not to be too concerned with your time. their is always someone faster or slower than yourself. No point in getting too worked up about something that should be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I found my mood dropped after I did my first few lsrs. My tolerance levels were also lower. I started to take an electrolyte drink after each long run and I found this helped. I did the same after DCM and I decided to take a multi-vitamin and Omega 3 tablet every day for a week after the marathon. Recovered very well except for my thighs that were in bits.

Re: people being depressed afterwards. I would find this to the case if you were overly excited/happy going into the marathon. The brain sort of balances itself out afterwards. It is a bit like being on top of the world Friday evening and then depressed Sunday evening.

Nah thats coz you have work on Monday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I was a little stiff the next day, less so the following day and feeling pretty normal after that. It was my first marathon this year at the DCM.

(PS, I was born after you done your first one, not long but still after ;))

• Advertisement

Jay D wrote: »

(PS, I was born after you done your first one, not long but still after ;))

I used to amuse myself in late Oct '08 by referring to my 25 year marathon running career, omitting the small detail that my "career" comprised a race at either end of the 25 years, and a little rest in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

DCM was my first marathon. Longest run before hand was a half.

I didn't really know what to expect tbh as I didn't take it too seriously in the run up to it. Had trouble with my ITB from mile 3 but kept a steady pace up to the half way point but slowed right down. At mile 16-20 I totally checked out. Made it over anyway.

I had the usual stiffness and soreness for 3-4 days but still went out for a 10km recovery once or twice over the week. I had no ups and downs emotion wise.

I think the fact that I did it slow made me recover quicker. If I had no injury I would have ran faster and wiped myself out. I'm sure I'd have suffered mentally wise over the week then.

Signed up to the clonakilty marathon a few days after I finished the DCM. I'm sure il be in bits afterwards this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was my first marathon,
    Sleep pattern was ruined for the first few days had the day booked off for Tuesday I was up at 4am.....so just went to work.
    Up at 5am the Wednesday......It was the weekend before I was back to normal sleeping.
    Muscles still a bit tender Saturday,
    I did 11 miles last Sunday but now have a cold/manflu.....
    Expected it really I would imagine I was due one after DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mike "Curley" Cunningham of Moreabbey Milers was doing 200m on the track the day after the DCM. 5Km race on Thursday evening and another 5km on Saturday morning.

Disclaimer: There may have been other races included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Marathons or even a really hard run half will ruin my stomach, I end up with cramps and nausea all day. My body temperature usually crashes about an hour afterwards as well, a long hot shower or bath is the only thing that warms me.

I've always gone to work the next day but try to spend all day at my desk.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Cheers Dom,

Lots of other good links on that page as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

YFlyer wrote: »
    Mike "Curley" Cunningham of Moreabbey Milers was doing 200m on the track the day after the DCM. 5Km race on Thursday evening and another 5km on Saturday morning.

Disclaimer: There may have been other races included.

That's hilarious. Mike sounds like hes slightly insane though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

tunguska wrote: »
    That's hilarious. Mike sounds like hes slightly insane though.....

He has ran over 100 races a year. Times are quite impressive as well for a 49 year old. Don't know how he recovers so quickly.

With John Treacy

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/109-not-out-for-cunningham-29979561.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement