Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch / Flywheel Issues

Options
  • 07-11-2014 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi,

Last week started having issues with my car.

One day while raining on the drive home from work in traffic that car started to chuck a little. It felt almost that the wheels were slipping on the road surface.

Since that the problem has been intermittient.

Last night on the way home despite the revs going high the car was not able to get out of second gear and when stopped at traffic lights it was ticking over very heavily. Same again this morning.

I can only assume that this is an issue with the clutch or flywheel.

Was supposed to drive home today on motor way but dont think the car is up to it.

Would I be correct in my assumption?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Make/Model/Engine/Year please..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

VW
    Passat SE
    1.9TDI, 110BHP,
    208,000 miles
    Orignal clutch, gearbox and flywheel. (only replacement was a turbo&cat @ 120k)

So delighted that I done as well as I have done.

Major problems this morning, could not get above 2nd gear.

Brought it to a mechanic at lunch and it was perfect.

Drove 80 miles after work no problem and no problem.

That rules out the clutch and the turbo is as quiet as its ever been.

Any ideas?

Seems to give problems when its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What exactly do you mean when you say you couldn't get above second gear?

Was there some restriction on the gearchange itself or could the car not go fast enough?

There was not enough power. If I put it into third it would have konked. Revs were high but power wasnt going to wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Sounds more like an engine issue than a clutch/flywheel issue. Have you had a diagnostic scan done?

only happens when its wet, what could that be.

if it wasnt getting fule or air that would be consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

MAF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Tibulus wrote: »
    only happens when its wet, what could that be.

if it wasnt getting fule or air that would be consistant.

It could be a coincidence. These engines rarely show an EML. An IC pipe blew off my car and despite the fact it was drinking diesel and had no power no EML was present.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Check if there is water collecting in the space where the battery is under the windscreen. Take out the battery and unblock the drains under it if you see a pool of water.

After that get it scanned.

• Advertisement

Tibulus wrote: »
    There was not enough power. If I put it into third it would have konked. Revs were high but power wasnt going to wheels.

Don't really understand this. The revs were high yet if you try to rev in third gear it will conk? Was the rev counter moving while it was in gear but the car wasn't accelerating?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Check if there is water collecting in the space where the battery is under the windscreen. Take out the battery and unblock the drains under it if you see a pool of water.

After that get it scanned.

Very good point. Friend had this problem, pool of water and when going round a left hand bend, sone was getting sucked into the vacumn pipe to the servo. engine oil corrupted and turbo went bang soon after.

Currently think its the air flow sensor, is there any way to check? Without checking the ECU.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

Have you tried disconnecting the MAF at the plug on the inlet hose to see if it runs better?

Get it scanned first

Advertisement